Author Topic: Killing Formulas / How much is enough?  (Read 699 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Killing Formulas / How much is enough?
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm planning on picking up a Ruger BH in .41 mag in a month or so. I reload and plan on working up some loads for whitetail and hogs. However, I keep wondering, "How much is enough"? I've read through and tried out numerous killing formulas only to be told that they're imperfect and inaccurate. Well, that makes sense. Also, everyone tells me that, "it's all about bullet placement". Ok, I agree. However, in the same breath I'll be told that such and such caliber / load (ie. .357 mag in a handgun) is "marginal" for hunting. I've hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders, rifles, and crossbows, but not handguns.

My question is, how do I know if my load will be reasonable for deer and hogs? My plan is to shoot no further than 50yds and hopefully have enough power that I can shoot broadside, quartering away/to, etc.

Any advice? Any ballpark numbers I can look at?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Killing Formulas / How much is enough?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »
Not sure how to advise you.  I am a one time .45 Colt hunter (125 # hog) and was working up to .357 Mag for hogs (if they ever return).  I will say that with ALL GUNS...sometimes game is lost regardless of bullet placement and caliber with which they are shot.  Yes, some will post they have never lost an animal to which I will reply there are those that have and those that will.  There is no other category.  Sooner or later it is going to happen.  The odds favor it to happen.

One season I shot 7 deer with 150 grain Speer Grand Slams in .270 caliber.  Every one of them ran more than 40 yards.  Some over 150 yards.  Never, in 15 previous seasons had a single deer taken more than 4 or 5 steps to 150 grain Nosler Partitions, Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Speer Spire Point BT's.  Most were DRT.  There was nothing exceptional about bullet placement in those 7 Grand Slam'd deer.  Bullet expansion was the problem.  Same hole in as out and no energy transfer.  So, I do not shoot GS's any more.

You will read, question, and develop .41 loads.  Confidence and proficiency in your shooting regime is as important as speed, bullet and powder.  When it comes together it is all good.  And don't forget the 1953 World Record Grizzly Bear was taken with the lowly 22LR single shot...but then who would go bear hunting with a rimfire?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »
The idea of handgun hunting is a quick clean kill.
with that said.  Shoot the hottest ammo you can well.
210 grain bullet at 1,000 feet per second will kill a deer or hog if you do your part and stick the bullet where you need to.
Not sure what to tell you. 

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
 357mag and larger for wheel guns and 40S&W and up for autos. That was i was told for hogs at least and what is legal in your state for hunting.  I have know people that killed hogs all the time with 38,45acp and 40 S&W hand guns  but there were skilled shooters.

If i was going to advise i would say go with people have been killing deer and game with for years(the 30/30 rifle then say is "marginal" for hunting deer or game that size but, put it in  a T/C huntgun it magical becomes good for large game like elk ::)) go to http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Home.aspx

they have a pick a game animal and they tell you the right ammo for it and yes white tail deer and hogs they have 357mag ammo listed as good for it.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends