Author Topic: Going to a ham shoot tomorrow  (Read 500 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Going to a ham shoot tomorrow
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »
Absolutely no idea what these things are like, but half the clubs in my region seem to be hosting one this weekend. Was going to hit one today, but realized my inspection sticker was 3 months expired. Priorities.....

So I decided to bring the 28" modified 12 gauge. No scope base unfortunately. Gonna put a varmint forend with a bipod on it for better aim.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Going to a ham shoot tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
If its anything like here.  You shoot at a target at 50 yards with a dove load and the closest pellet to the center wins.  You would do better with a full choke.  Most of the shoots you are shooting free hand and standing.

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
most common in this area(s.w. virginia) is to use your pump or auto-loader with a turkey choke. something along the lines of h.s.strut undertaker or similar. distances usually from 30 to 35yds.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
Yup. Turkey chokes and a scope at 25 yards was the deal. Same guys were winning match after match.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
The only time I ever shot in one I won 1st place with my dads winchester 1200.  It was close to 20 years ago and no one new what a screw in choke was. 

Offline jpred1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »
You have to find out if is is what we call fixed shoot and if scopes are allowed, usually if scopes are allowed the guns are not stock, meaning backbored or other work has been done on the choke end of barrel.A good model 12 winchester with 30" full will usually shoot the 10 shot the best as stock.But as shot sizes change the chokes needs to change also.Meaning a 10 gun usually isnt a 9 shot gun or 8 shot either. Try your guns out at said distance with whatever size shot they use and pattern it with diff chokes. You will have to learn your gun, meaning you may have to aim top right or bottom left even to center your pattern on the card. Lots of the guys your shooting against have been praticing a lot and can bring home some pretty good cash. Ive seen 2-3 grand per man laid out for a single shot.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
around here (cent PA) they are 40ft at a 6x6 cardboard square most bb's wins round.
most people use pumps,tight chokes,and squib loads barely enough to go through the target.
i remember my brothers used to shoot them. first time there they took full house fox loads,they got the stink eye everytime they got up on the line
we spent that whole summer working on lighter loads ,i was 9yrs old and did most of the test shooting lots of fun and a bruised shoulder that lasted 3mos

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »
soooooooooooooo how many did ya win!!!! ;D