Author Topic: wad cutter-accuracy at distance  (Read 783 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
wad cutter-accuracy at distance
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »
I know a wad cutter sheds velocity quicker than other bullet designs. What other disadvantages do they have? Do they hold accuracy out to lets say 50-75 yards? Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: wad cutter-accuracy at distance
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
Fifty yards yes, 75 maybe but by 100 they are running out of steam. An old friend of mine once shot some zero brand factory wadcutter loads at a watershed lake up in the mountains. He wanted to see if they would reach the far end of the perhaps 250-300 yard long lake. No matter how high he held he was not able to get them to reach the far bank, they all dropped into the water with a splash.

They are used in matches at 25 and 50 yards and do fine to that distance but sure lose accuracy and stability when they get much beyond 100 yards. I'd never shoot them at anything I really wanted to hit much beyond 50 yards.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MikeP

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:05:55 AM »
That's an interesting story, Graybeard.

I use a tool to put a wad-cutter nose on the .22 long rifles I use for squirrel hunting. The main purpose is to get increased hitting power from plain roundnose bullets. It works for this purpose, providing a satisfying "plop" upon striking the target and "flop" if placed on or near the aim point.

The secondary reason is to limit the range for high-angle tree shots. I don't know how well that works, but your story is encouraging.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:06:19 AM »
I have been using .357 wadcutters in 38 special cases and in a rifle for back yard plinking and pest control. I have it zeroed at 25 yards and the longest shot was at 35 yards. I do not know if much beyond that, it would kill a small critter (raccoon or woodchuck) with authority (bang-flop). I do know they are not a pass through at 35 yards, but it does drop them quickly. If shot into the ground (my backyard) at a shallow angle, they do not ricochet, I have recovered them, just under the grass.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
I had a nice S&W model 67 that I used to shoot factory HBWC's in. One brand shot well at 25 and 50 yards (Winchester IIRC), but the other (Federal I think) was starting to yaw at 50 yards. All of them would strike about half-sideways in the same direction. It seemed to be due to the slow twist rate in the Smith because my Python (1:14 twist) didn't have that problem.
Now that I handload, I've switched to LRN-FP bullets in the 125-140 grain range for powder puff loads, particularly in my Handi rifle, which doesn't get along well with HBWC's.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:30 AM »
I have not shot any wad cutters any further than 50 yards. They were accurate out that far. Much beyond that and they start to drop off like a rock. I suppose you could shoot them at 100 yards, I have no reason not to think they wouldn't, however they are going to have a big rainbow trajectory. When bullets start dropping off like that you have to know your distance very well. Even 5 yards wrong and you are going to miss big time, so even if the bullet is MOA it really does not do much good unless you are going to shoot at a target at a known fixed distance. The plus side is that you do not have to worry about them traveling a great distance, and I have yet to get a ricochet. I suppose it is possible if the ground is very hard or you hit a rock at the right angle. Even then it will not travel a great distance afterward. I feel much safer shooting a 38 Special wad cutter than a 22 long rifle rimfire.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:13:59 AM »
Perhaps these are some of the reasons that I am not observing the accuracy I had come to expect fro a Handi-rifle in 357 Mag caliber.  I am shooting both SWC's and WC's in 158 gr and 185 gr respectively.

At 100 yards, I am not on the paper with some of the rounds, either weight or shape.  I have recently modified the forearm of the stock, but now I am thinking that may not have been the full problem.

I had though about using the 357 Mag Handi as a hog gun out to say 95 yards.  Now I believe that to be less than sound thinking. 

I did notice the "rainbow trajectory" in the load development programs and that is cause for pause.  If I were to zero for 100yards, I would be above the line of sight by more than 5" at or about 60 yards.  That is a LOT of room for error.  Much more than I am experienced with shooting.