Author Topic: The First Groundhogs of the Year  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
The First Groundhogs of the Year
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
I have a yearly problem with groundhogs.  They've chewed up porch furniture, chewed through wiring for outside decor lighting, have girdled young trees, etc.  They're very sneaky and every year one or more have manage to live under my front porch.  I pretty much hate them.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw my first groundhog out after the winter's hibernation and was hoping to be able to cap the one I knew had gone to sleep in the burrow under my porch.  Several days ago, I looked out my upstairs window and saw one on the lawn.  I went to get a rifle which I took upstairs and then opened the window from which I had already removed the screen.  Sure enough, there was a groundhog out in one of the flower beds sunning itself and, not only that, there was another a few feet away also enjoying the sun.

It was a bit awkward leaning out the window with a rifle but I took a shot anyway and missed.  At the shot, taken with a 458 SOCOM, mulch went flying a couple of feet up and onto the porch but the groundhog made its way unscathed into its burrow.  Later that day, I saw a groundhog, probably the smaller one of the two, making its way across the lawn to a woodpile but, by the time I got a rifle it was gone.

A change in strategy was needed.  I decided on a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum on which I had recently installed a gold bead front sight and v rear sight from Gary Reeder.  That type of sight, by the way is my favorite revolver sight.  It was probably a poor choice since I could instead have gone with something more substantial like a 454 Casull or 50 AE.  When you respect an animal you should shoot it with more expensive ammo.

The day before yesterday, after the sun had started to hit the side of the house the groundhog burrow was on, I looked out the window and the varmint was enjoying the sun again.  I got the Redhawk, leaned out the window, and BANGGGG!!!  The groundhog managed to get maybe 2 feet to it's hole but no further so I was able to drag it out by its tail.  The Nosler 240 gr. HP, a factory second by the way, had done its job with a complete pass through but I don't think it expanded; bullet failure no doubt.  I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know that the cases, being reloads, had all been full length sized which is much less hazardous than using unresized new brass.

I can only imagine what probably happened yesterday.  If we call the large groundhog Emily (who stayed under the porch) and the smaller one Carl (the smaller one that went to the woodpile) I'm thinking that Carl thought, "It's a nice day.  I think I'll visit Emily."  Carl, upon coming to Emily's home found no one there and thought, "I guess I'll just catch some rays while I wait for Emily to return."

Anyway, I looked out the window and there was another groundhog which I also dispatched from the upstairs window with the Redhawk.

I think I've killed all the groundhogs under the porch since I filled in the hole and there has been no further sign of disturbance.  I have no doubt more will come and I'll be ready for them.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: The First Groundhogs of the Year
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »
Nice shootn there Tex  ;D

I've seen about 10 so far , only problem is thet they are on the dike banks of the Shell Oil tank farm next to were I work , not sure they would like guns going off so close to all that Crude Oil & Gas .  :o :o :D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
COOL STORY AND PICS!!!!!!   :o

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »
Very Nice!   Ground hogs are few and far between Now days down here (Belmont, Monroe, and Noble counties.)    We still have a few but the Coyotes, Fox and Hawks are hard on them.  Along with the Hard spring rains a few years Back.  Was Hard on the young .   I remember getting over 100 a year.  Now your Lucky to see 10 to shoot at in a year.   I hope it's just a cycle.   If not, I might have to Import some from you Guys.  
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
Jeese, 458 Socom, 454 Casull, 44 mag, 50 AE wow, I bet your neighbors love you!   :o  I always believe to each his own, but at those ranges a .22 LR HP in the head works pretty good, too!  You say you pretty much hate them, it shows!   >:( >:(  Tried the 50 Barrett yet?  Only funnin' with you, Grumulkin!  Keep 'em culled or they'll take over!  Good Shootin'!
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »
Jeese, 458 Socom, 454 Casull, 44 mag, 50 AE wow, I bet your neighbors love you!   :o  I always believe to each his own, but at those ranges a .22 LR HP in the head works pretty good, too!  You say you pretty much hate them, it shows!   >:( >:(  Tried the 50 Barrett yet?  Only funnin' with you, Grumulkin!  Keep 'em culled or they'll take over!  Good Shootin'!

Well, I don't want to be under gunned.

As for the 50 Barrett; I've thought about it but for a cartridge that can put a bullet through a brick wall I'd probably have to drive at least 50 miles to find a place I could safely shoot it.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:03:45 AM »
Grumulkin, have you lost your intutiveness. Not sure if you plant a garden, or the angle out that window. But, with a .50, even if you hit a whistle pig, the furrow that the bullet would put in the ground, you could plant your corn or beans in it in a few weeks!! gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 05:06:58 AM »
I was antelope hunting in Wyoming a few years ago and our guide related how, a year or two earlier, someone had brought hit 50 BMG to hunt antelope with.  He said that in shooting it, I suppose during sighting in, there were sparks wherever the bullets hit.  His intrepid client finally hit an antelope and none of what remained of the beast was edible.

In my group was an ex-Special Forces guy who looked at one of the rounds the guy had left behind and said, "That's an incendiary round."  I guess he could tell by the color of the paint on the bullet tip.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
There was a show on the Outdoor Chan. the other week were a guy did hunt lope with the big 50 , he was using a custom copper solid and took a clean kill @ over 800 yards , very little meat damage , just a 1/2" hole through and through .

One thing that he did do was take the time to know his weapon & ammo and what it would do at different given ranges .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped