Author Topic: "Car" Carry?  (Read 988 times)

Offline Wild Bill 442

• Trade Count: (0)
"Car" Carry?
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
I surveyed quite a few posts and other than discussion of the legality of concealed weapons in cars and interactions w/ LEO's while driving, I didn't run across any posts about how people "carry" in their vehicles.  I am looking for thoughts on what folks do when they're in a vehicle: position, location, how to secure....  I'm sure there will be variation based on states that require concealment vs. those that allow visibility but I haven't seen any posts so it will all be informative.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: "Car" Carry?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
State laws gererally are specicif about how you can carry in a car.  Last I knew it was legal to carry a loaded gun in AZ in a car as long as it was holstered in the glove compartment.  In WA state you need a CCW permit to carry loaded in a car with some exceptions as to hunting etc.  You will probably find about 48 other ways you must carry if in a car.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:24:55 PM »
One in the door pocket, one in my pocket, and sometimes, one in Sweet Thang's purse.  No need going undergunned! :D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
If I don't have in on me, it's usually in the console. If I'm in my Jeep, I may be wearin one, and a rifle in the over head gun rack, muzzle toward driver's side. Just reach up and get it.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
Wyo State hunting laws allow firearms to be loaded in the vehicle. That is what I do. I can legally hunt coyotes or prairie dogs any time of year with any firearm. I've tried to find out what city cops or Sheriffs or the Highway patrol says but all I get are evasive answers, so I will either be going hunting or coming home from hunting if any of these other types gives me a bad time.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
Usually in the consol.
If out and about in town during the day--the consol. At night--under my right leg.
During the evacuation of Hurricane Rita---in my lap.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:43 AM »
I carry mine in the door pocket, I shoot left handed so it works out great for me  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »
Generally speaking one will be in a lock box in console or on the passenger seat, unlocked. That gun is at home in the vehicle. One is typically riding on my hip as well, and is there unless illegal to do so.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
 ;) when I am about my every day things in Wy. I have mostly 2 loaded rifles...and at least 2 loaded pistols...the pistols vary, but usually one is a Smith either .44 or .357 and the other a .45 auto...

When I travel in the West, I usually have the same pistols...one right between the console and my seat and the other stuck in the passengers seat pocket on the pack of the seat..I can easily reach it there...In addition, I have a centerfire rifle, in the front seat and often an 870 12 ga. behind the seat...when I travel east of the Mississippi I often take the same guns, but have to store them and any extras in the back of the truck as I travel though various states...I try to keep one weapon close with ammo, but in some of those places it is difficult.. Ill. and Ohio are bad...Indiana recog. my CC permit.. I have a little summary of state regs. and usually follow it...if in doubt...I put the handguns back and keep my smooth bore and ammo as close as possible...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 05:20:17 AM »
The bad guys don't pay attention too rules.
If a cop wants the gun--he can have it.
There is plenty of time to store the gun on a traffic stop. I KNOW.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:04:39 AM »
I have a CCW and usually just leave it on my hip when driving.  But it is not easy to access quickly so if I expect to pass threw a bad area especially at night I will place my gun under the armrest/console of my Dakota so that it is easy to get to in a hurry if need be.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
Car carry is an important issue.  Too many crimes go down while the victim is seated in a car.  While driving or parked, if you are behind the wheel when you need a gun, it's too often in a place that cannot be quickly accessed.  On your hip is okay if you're not wearing clothing that is buttoned or zipped or tight.  In the glove box or closed console is way too slow.  Floorboard is no good.  One way to keep it close and have it immediately available is on the passenger seat, concealed by a jacket, grocery bag, or whatever.   

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »
I live in MI and have a CCW. The CCW alowes me to cary a handgun either exposed or conceled in a motor vehicle. When I leave my driveway, there is a SAA Birdshead grip in 45 Colt stuck down between the drivers seat and center seat/consul of my PU with a small hand towel over it. Always. It's my car gun and I shoot it well. Normaly, I have a light weight 38 special on my belt, left side, but forward, in an ITW holster under my shirt, but that birds head 45 is ALWAYS stuck betewwn the seats with me. 

If I sell the birdshead, I will probibly stick my Colt Delta 10mm in the same place, but I'm kind of fond of the little 45. I can shoot it faster and hit better with it than any 1911, or any semi auto, for that matter.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
Greenriver, you can't do better than your .45 SA.  I carry one often.  All the gun writers say a single action is no good as a defense gun, but they are dead wrong.  No gun you can carry is faster for the first shot.  It can be cocked in less time that it takes to get on target.  No other handgun is a "pointable."  Certainly, it has reloading restrictions, but I've never heard of a non-cop self defense situation when reloading was neccessary. 

It's agreed that the 1911, even though old in design, is still one of the best.  I say the .45 SAA is also still very much alive.     

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »
I will defy anyone to pull-aim-shoot and roller quicker than a semi started from a cocked and locked condition.
Reloads are not the question--follow-ups are quicker with a semi.
That is not opinion---just the facts.
I think Semi's are far more pointable---but that is open for debate.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
 ;)Mr. William,,,I agree with you on certain points about the semi auto, BUT, Elmer Keith felt there was nothing faster for the FIRST shot than a single action Colt...While pistols are not my main dish, I have autos, single actions, and double actions..I like them all, but as far as point ability for me the single action is first, the double second and the auto third....You are quite right about follow up shots, but if the first round is dead center, follow ups are not needed....I was not quite sure what you meant by roller....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »
Depends , In bad parts of town - between leg and seat . In really bad parts in hand . On normal drives on seat under a rag or in console if truck has one .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »
Here in Okla. as long as it's concealed you can carry it anywhere.
For me it depends on the trip I'm taking.
Short trips it stays on the hip.
Long trips it's in the console or stuck in the side of the seat.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
Here it depends on population of the city and local law . Open carry is OK most places if population is not over 100000 i think.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »
Wyoming
Sorry about the confusion of terms.
I was raised with a revolver being a roller.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD