Author Topic: jest fer conversation  (Read 616 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
jest fer conversation
« on: November 13, 2003, 11:39:32 PM »
how does one, technically speak, determine proper grip size, configuration for a handgun. would like the conversation to go into more detail than "feel".
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
jest fer conversation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 08:06:22 AM »
Well i guess i try this one, with your stong hand (i.e firing hand) holding the gun in a firing postion your trigger finger should be making contact around the distal joint area .(1st notch) your strond hand palms should fit well against the grip panels with major contact of your palms to the panels(ie no daylight) as you press your second hand or support hand to the oppisite side grip panel it should be pressing against your other meaty area of the thumb palm/pad area now as you wrap the fingers of your support hand around yor strong hand the fingers should lay well against each other almost looking like a u shape formed by the strong hand and gun gripthen your support hand will look like a big L rotated about 90 degrees to the right(for a right handed shooter) and then placing your support thumb on top of/or along side of the strong hand thumb laid down the slide of the gun this allows you maximum purchase of the gun in your hand and great recoil control and will let yo uknow how the gun feels for you!

Offline Savage

jest fer conversation
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 09:46:12 AM »
William,
Deputy has pretty well nailed it! One other way to check for fit and size is to take an UNloaded gun with the trigger in the set position. Holding the gun in the off hand, position the first joint of the trigger finger on the trigger. Without changing this position take a firing grip on the gun. Bring the gun up and check the sight alignment. Assuming you're right handed, if the front sight is aligned to the right of the rear notch, the grip is too large, aligned to the left it's too small. Works just the opposite for left handers.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
jest fer conversation
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 11:30:28 AM »
oop's forgot that one savage thanks for the cover

Offline williamlayton

jest fer conversation
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 12:01:28 AM »
been sitting here fiddling with a couple of em. lord, some times it scares ya when you learn just how much you doan know. i can see what both of you are talking about. both aim left. i guess i jest have always adjusted my wrist to compensate. for either of em to line up the trigger finger pad is the second , or middle joint, of my hand.
so, after this discovery--and i'm sure there are a couple of fellows out there jest like me--what is the next step? maybe, what do ya'll reccommend to correct the situation?
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

jest fer conversation
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:20:11 AM »
William,
About the only way to compensate is a change of grip panels and/or spacers. With some models, like the 1911 you can install a short/long trigger, or the contour of the mainspring housing to compensate. With the Glock you can go with a handall or try different mdls till you find one you like. The 20/21 are the largest the 17/22 are in the middle. The others are pretty much the same width and depth as the 17/22 with the exception of the mdl36 single stack. Have I mudded the water well enough?
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

jest fer conversation
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 01:09:15 AM »
muddied? no ya aint. then what you are saying is the grip change is not the correction needed. what ya need is a trigger that sreches out the finger till the reach of the finger is correctly placed on it. now that is muddien!
anywho-thanx. now i got to find a smith that can do this as the sig seems a little complicated fer my simple mind.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD