Author Topic: Mixed headstamp target loads?  (Read 910 times)

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Mixed headstamp target loads?
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »
Hey guys, this issue is driving me nuts.  I have always been in the habit of keeping all my brass separated by headstamp.  But now, I have come to own about 500 mixed headstamp .38SPL brass that I would like to load up with light plinking loads for just plinking.  I am not looking for steller accuracy here, more or less something that goes bang when I pull the trigger.  Someone please tell me why I should (or should not) just mix all my .38SPL brass together and load as one lot.  I am tired of having 10 different baggies for to store this brass.  The load I am currently using for this purpose is 3.5 grains of bullseye under a 158 grain LSWC.

So, mix or not mix?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Mixed headstamp target loads?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
In this case I say mix em.

Now if you were asking about centerfire rifle loads you're looking to shoot less than an inch and perhaps down near a half inch at 100 yards with I'd be saying don't mix em.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »
I'm with GB on this for plinking. The one thing, some brands of brass are thicker than others and you might find a bit of variation in the crimp. Seems like my Federal cases are thicker than Rem or Win. So I tend to do Federal separate these days.  But I have and on occasion just load em up when doing mild plinkers.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
I, too, agree with mixing them. I do. When I want to do some "grouping", I pull 5 with the same headstamp and have at it. However, for minute of pop can  - not necessary. FWIW - I'm running a Lyman #358477 that casts a 148gr SWC over 3.5gr Bullseye. Great load!
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:03:22 AM »
Unless your shooting them out of a Freedom Arms, I doubt that the gun would know the difference in headstamps. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:07:49 AM »
For you application I would mix them.

Regarding rifle loads, I've compared group sizes/POI with different types of brass in guns that shoot MOA or less.  Sometimes different brands of brass will shoot to the same place with similar accuracy but you have to test to find out.

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:18:15 AM »
Good deal. Its mostly a Mix of Rem, Blazer, PMC, and CBC brass. What I want to do is load up all 500 at once and store it in an anno can for latter use. Rather then individually packaging it all.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
I do that with about a thousand at a time, Not sure how many times most of it has been loaded. If my .38 cases aint cracked I shoot'em. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
I so it all the time for my "banger" or fun loads in hand guns. Not a problem.

For my better and/or handgun hunting loads I'm a bit more fussy.

For rifle loads, I have had some bad experiences as per pressure, even within one brand, style of head stamp but different lot number.

The problem happened to be with Remington brass.

Again for "banger" or lower pressure fun/practice loads I am not overly concerned.

However, for normal pressure hunting loads, I much prefer to keep my brass sorted as to brand, lot and number of times fired.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »
Welcome to the world of "thrifty" shooting.  Cheap mixed headstamped brass.  Bulk lot of cast or swaged bullets.  Lighter side load of powder.  Rolling your own in volume.  Once you start shooting this type of load, you will learn how to load them faster and faster.   Soon 500 brass ain't going to be enough to keep up with the addiction. 

A pound of bullseye will fill about 2000 brass with this load.
Primers come in a carton of 1000.
Bulk bullets get cheaper as quantity goes up.......

Better look for some more brass.............

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »
Yep Steve, ya got that nail right on the head, except for one point that is.

Casting!

SilverSlayer best be scrounging up all the Wheel Weights he can lay his hands on as that Bullseye works just fine behind home grown bullets!!!!! ;D  Even with mixed headstamp brass!

Did something for a fellow back around 1984, for which he gave me a cardboard powder container, -remember those days?- full of Bullseye.

Still peck'in away at my stash, 3.5 to 5 grains at a time.

Ended up with a new pound of Bullseye a year or so ago.  Wonder if I'll live long enough to break the seal. If so, that will be some thousands of rounds down the line!

8lbs. sure goes a loooooooooooooooong ways!

keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
I have come to terms with the fact that reloading doesn't save me any money; I just end up shooting way more!  As soon as I load up a large batch of ammo I find a reason to go burn it all up in one day!  Casting is next in the process for me. In fact, I have so far smelted down about 20# of W/W's scrounged from various sources.  I just need to get a decent mold, ladle, sizing system, and a powder measure. Then I'll really be able to crank out the ammo! 

I'll share with you all the load I am using for a run of 250 rounds. The weapon is a stainless ruger security six, .357, with a 4" barrel.

128Gr Berry's hardcast RNFP
Mixed .38spl cases
CCI #500
3.5grs bullseye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »
For the most part i dont seperate any handgun brass. I just shoot to much to bother with it. 38specials are funny though. There seems to be more variation in case capacity and overal lenght with it then any other handgun brass. For the most part i still just load and shoot it but if im loading ammo for competition i like to keep match headstamp brass. What i do is keep a couple thousands nickle matching brass and use it just for competition. What alot of guys dont believe is that even if you sort your brass by headstamp there still so much lot to lot variation in handgun brass that unless you buy one big lot of brass your pretty much wasting your time.
blue lives matter