Author Topic: Fun day at the range  (Read 577 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Fun day at the range
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
It was a beautiful day here yesterday and our daughter was staying over at a friend's house so the wife and I decided to head off to "the pit" with a few of the hand guns.  We warmed up by shooting several magazines each threw the Ruger MKII.   We then graduated to her Charter Arms Snubby.  The only ammo I had on hand in .38spl was some pretty stout lead round nose ammo that barked and bit pretty hard in the little 15oz. snubby.  She shot only one cylinder full and said "That's enough... I don't want to shoot it anymore!".  She may not like to shoot it but she sure shot it well.  First 2 shots were in the X ring of a B-27 at seven yards followed by a couple of 9s and an 8.   I then let her try my 9mm Kel-Tec P-11.  She liked that even less than the CA.  I took out some rogue bowling pins while doing a couple of reload drills with the Kel-Tec and we called it an afternoon.  On our way out she said to me "Next time we aught to bring that case of diet cola you picked up by mistake to use as targets.".  I love that girl... always thinking.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Fun day at the range
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »
Brett:  those lightweight snubbies will always kick hard with heavy loads but if your wife suggested bringing the case of diet cola then pick yourself up a couple of boxes of wadcutter target loads as they will be much easier for your wife to shoot through the snubbie and the effect on full soda cans will be a lot more, ummmm, 'expressive' than round nose loads.....

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
Mikey,
Yup I know, but I have not been able to find any wadcutters around here in months.  :(   Guess I will have to expand my search.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »
Brett:  try MidSouth, Natchez, Cabelas, Sportmen's Guide. 

Offline Autorim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
IME if you want women and children to begin to enjoy shooting - get a good .22 rimfire.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
Loaded wad cutter ammo has been hard to find around here for several years I'm told.  If you want bullets for loading, Missouri Bullet has wad cutters for $54 per thousand.
Good luck in your search,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »
Brett:  try MidSouth, Natchez, Cabelas, Sportmen's Guide. 

Only as a last resort... the shipping charges are too steep on loaded ammo.   I'm going to keep looking locally first. 

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
IME if you want women and children to begin to enjoy shooting - get a good .22 rimfire.

Done that already.   In my original post I stated that we started out shooting several magazines threw a Ruger MKII (.22cal. semi-automatic pistol).   It's a great gun to have fun, but not great for self defense.  The Charter Arms .38 snubby is the wife's CC weapon and the Kel-Tec 9mm is one of mine.   Both good CC  weapons but not really enjoyable to shoot. 

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:22:02 AM »
As a whole women seem to pick up shooting quickly if they are interested. My step-daughter first expressed interest when she was 21. I also started her on a MkII target pistol. At the end of the first session (she had never fired a handgun before) she put ten shots in a 3" bull at 50 feet with a two handed hold. Next time out we started with the MkII but then moved up to the Blackhawk with .38s and then she finished with a couple of cylinders of .357. She quit after the .357s only because she was getting tired holding the revolver. She was not a bit intimidated by the .357s.
GliderJohn