Author Topic: Whats the heaviest bullet that will stabilize from a 1/12 twist?  (Read 735 times)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
  I just bought a '77 Colt SP1 with a 20" 1/12, am interested in doing some loads for it.  If 55's are all it will stabilize, are there any bullets available that are built well enough to offer decent penetration in the 55gr range?    Thanks!

Offline LCR

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Whats the heaviest bullet that will stabilize from a 1/12 twist?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
65 grain flat base.
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
Here are a few good candidates that are short for their weight that work fine in 1:12" barrels, the 60gr Nosler Partition, 63gr Sierra Varminter #1370 and the 64gr Win Power Point, all work very well on deer at 223 Rem velocities.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »
 AHH, SO!  Thanks very much!  The Partition was one that I'd hoped would work for me.   I owe you guys.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »
ive seen a few deer killed with the partition and it does real well. We even shot a 200 lb hog with one and recovered the bullet on the far shoulder and it dropped in its tracks. Im so impressed with them that i bought 500 and have them loaded for self defense ammo for the ars. I heard that the FBI or some other gov organization is using ammo loaded with them in there ars. We pentration tested a bunch of .223 bullets and the partitions were hands down the best performers. Much better then even the barns. The barns bullets did not expand reliably in wet print. The 64 ww were a real disapointment as we figured theyd do good but the fragmented as badly as some of the 50 grain bullets. If i wasnt going to use a partition on deer id look at the 60 grain vmax. It did fair. But if it were me and i wanted to hunt something bigger then a coyotte id load some parttions and be done with it.
blue lives matter