Author Topic: Powder for a 30-06 that meters well??  (Read 683 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Powder for a 30-06 that meters well??
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
Hello everyone,
     I'm thinking about trying out a new powder for my 30-06.  I've been loading IMR 4350 for my 30-06 loads since I started reloading back in '02.  I'm setup on a dillon 550b progressive press and want to load some ammo for hunting & plinking.  Normally I load my 30-06 ammo for match accuracy, by using a rcbs chargemaster to individually weigh the powder for each charge and having it all just right.  Now, I'd like to find a powder that meters like water, but I don't have much experience with 30-06 powders other than IMR 4350.
     If any of you have any suggestions I'd love hear it!  Thanks in advance.

Offline wncchester

Re: Powder for a 30-06 that meters well??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
Any ball powder.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:07:14 AM »
Yes, any ball powder.  Specifically, W760/H414 (they're the same powder) for most any common 30-06 bullet weight.  Ramshot Hunter for bullets over 165 grains, or Big Game for anything up to ~165.  I expect that Winchester Supreme 780 would work for maybe 180s, but should work well for the really heavy bullets over 200 grains (i.e. 240 grain SMK if you shoot that).  NOTE:  I haven't loaded any of my 780 in my '06, so I'm speculating about that one.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »
BL-C2 or H-380 both meter great and both load a wide group of bullets with less powder more loads per lb. and the accuracy is VG in both.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
Accurate AA2520 also works well in 30-06. It shoots great in my M1 Garand with 150 to 165 gr bullets.

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
I use 748 for my 30-06. It meters very nicely.

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
Like these guys said; ball powder.  I've used a lot of H414.  It's really versatile, I've used it in 308, 30-06, 270, and 280 all with respectable accuracy.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
I also use Winchester 748 it meters well for factory duplication loads.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
You might try Varget.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:37 AM »
I use H4895 when loading '06 M2 equivelent loads (the actual specified 2800 fps load) with 150 gr bullets on my Dillon 550.  It metters quite well with very uniform loads.

Larry Gibson

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
Depending on the weight of the bullet, Winchester 748 or 760. 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
Well...  I got some H414 to try out.  I tried loading some rounds up tonight and ran into a problem with my dillon 550B.  I'm sure it's something I did, but I'm not sure.  I haven't used the powder measure for a 30-06 as long as I can remember or set one up in as long.  After the main charge of powder has been dropped there is a second little puff of powder that comes down and sprinkles a little powder all over the place.  I've got to get that figured out before I can really start loading some rounds with the H414.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
You have die adjusted wrong, wrong powder bushing in the die, or need to check your rythem.  There should be no powder left in the die when you bring the press handle up.  Are you allowing sufficient time for the powder to leave the charge bar and drop thru the powder funnel?  30-06 is not like a 45acp or similar pistol cartridge where the powder drops like a rock thru the powder funnel.  It takes a couple of seconds for 50-60 grains of powder to drop through.  You want to give yourself a "one thousand one one thousand two one thousand three" or similar count when press handle is down to allow the powder to get from charge bar through the powder funnel and into the case. 

Make sure your charge bar has minimal movement after press handle is fully down.  If powder die is seated down too far, your charge bar will hit maximum movement before you complete your down stroke.  If powder die is too high, the charge bar will not dump all the powder and action from the return spring will shake it out.  (Grip your powder measure with your left hand and try pressing the charge bar further when your press handle is all the way down.  If you can move your charge bar, your die is too high. )

If you have the wrong powder funnel in the die, you could have grains of powder setting on the rim of the funnel that vibrate off as the press handle comes up.  The powder measure would still work if the powder funnel is in the die upside down.  Another ledge to hold powder and then allow it to trickle off as press handle comes up.

A little Tap Tap with the press handle at the bottom of the press stroke can also shake the last remnants of powder thru the funnel if a little powder "dams" up.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Steve :)

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »
The powder bushing in the die is correct.  I keep everything in the original packaging so there's no chance of a mix up there.  I readjusted the die and took longer to cycle the press, but I still got some deviation in the powder readings.  The little sprinkle of powder at the end seemed to disapear so I'm pretty happy about that. 

What do you consider to be an acceptable variation of powder?  When I typically load the powder for my 30-06 I use the chargemaster combo and if it's not 100% exact I just redo it.  In this case of using the powder charge should I be ok with .1 - .4 in variation from one round to the next? 

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
Ramshot Big Game or Hunter

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:44:07 AM »
Both of my Dillons will drop loads with .1 grain.  If the powder does not measure out that well, I go to the trickler.  I have rifle loads with H335, WW748, etc that consistently drop loads with 30-50 grains that are within .1 grain.  You have to get the rythem going..........that is the key to consistency. 

I set my powder measure and will drop loads until I get three consecutive loads within .1 grain.  This usually takes about 10-12 loads as I am adjusting the charge bar.  Once I drop three loads within .1 grain, I pump out 5 charges in a row and weight them all.  If all five loads combined weight within +/- .5 grain of my load I start cranking out ammo...........with the rythem.......Country music works well.  70s-80s rock is a little too much....jazz puts me to sleep..........

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002