Author Topic: Bowling Ball Barrel??  (Read 495 times)

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bowling Ball Barrel??
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
I have found a place to get my steel for the bowling ball mortar, $113.00 per foot, Its DOM 1026 or 520, 9 1/2 OD, ID is 8 3/4
 3/8 walls per side. ,  This gives a clearness of 3/32s per side if the ball stays in the center of the bore, The balls are 8.563 unless someone tells me different,
     My question are,1. is this to much or not enought side clearness. I dont want to have to patch balls.
   2. Is the steel in range to be save after welded.
   THis is going to be heavy for wt. 37 lbs. per foot,3.  Whats the shortis I can go for lenght.
    Thanks for the help. Joe
             I got my beer can mortar from DOM today, Its a piece of art, Exc. Thanks- Dom

Offline dirtdobber1919a4

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bowling Ball Barrel??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
i just built a bowling ball mortar out of a nitrogen tank.  if you have any scrap yards around you start looking for them.  if you can get a tank the right size you wont have to patch the ball.  the dot code will be at the neck of the bottle. the code is 3AA2400.  the outside diameter is 9.25 X 60 inches.  even you have to pay by the pound, it will be alot cheaper and easier to go that direction.  just an idea.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Bowling Ball Barrel??
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
Go to the Reference sticky.  You will find all the all the bowling data there.  Don't even think about about patching  a cannon ball. if you can even get seat with out a hammer just think about how much you would drive  pressures up firing.