Author Topic: I take it that speer..  (Read 718 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I take it that speer..
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:47:16 PM »
I take it that speer quit makeing the hot core rifle bullet?And are replaceing them with a new bullet called DeepCurl for rifle and pistol bullets.Has any one shot these new rifle bullets yet. I love the 120 hotcore in my 25-06,good thing i bought 2 boxes of bullets before they quit makeing them.They sound well maid think i am going to have to try them in my 243 sounds like a great deer bullet
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Siskiyou

Re: I take it that speer..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
I always get concerned when a manufacture drops an old line of bullets because I have invested time and components in load development of safe loads in my rifles.  I am fortunate in the case of Speer that I have a fair supply of the bullets I use which focuses around the 7MM Remington Magnum.  The center of my 7MM world is the Speer 160-grain Spitzer.  It is an accurate, long range bullet in my rifle.

A trade with my brother sent some 150-grain WW bullets to him for his 7MM-08 and in turn I got some sealed boxes of 160 and 145 grain Speer bullets from him.  The 145-grain bullet will be my choice if I make a speed goat hunt. A good bullet for light framed, adrenaline charge game.  Did a little trading with Gunner Runner last week and it filled out a box of 145 grain Speer bullets. 

If change keeps them in business I am for it.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »
I read recently about the Deep Curl but I too heard that Speer was planning to quit the hot core. I really like the 308 180 and 200 gr hot cores. So I emailed Speer last summer I think. I recall getting a response to the effect that they were going to work up a new bullet and the Hot Cores may eventually phase out. I don't think they were going to just stop production right away. It sounded like the Deep Curl wasn't likely to show up in the market right away either. These are my impressions. I doubt I could locate the response Speer sent me. Now I recall that Midway made it look like the Hot Cores were out soon.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Well i went to midwayusa and it said discontinued from factory,whats this mean? Sounds to me like they cant get the bullets for reloaders because the factory dont make them any more,just my thoughts
1 shot 1 kill