Author Topic: How many of you have a left handed kid?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Jon in TN

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
How many of you have a left handed kid?
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:11:08 AM »
My daughter is left handed. She doesn't want to hunt, but she's very good shot and I was just wondering if you've been able to find any left handed youth guns? And what they are?

Offline lostintexas

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How many of you have a left handed kid?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
I think remington makes a model 7 youth rifle for lefties.  Not 100% sure though.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
Here you go Jon, a Savage Model 11FLYXP3 Youth - Left Hand with AccuTrigger. Comes in .223 Rem., 243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem., and 308 Win:

http://www.savagearms.com/11flyxp3_youth_LH.htm
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
Both of my kids are left-eye dominant which makes them lefty shooters. When they got bored with the chipmunk .22, they both got into pistols over rifles. When they do shoot long guns, they prefer the single-shots (Contender/Encore) or '92 lever actions, which you can get in some good woods range hunting calibers. I went the route of ambidextrous actions so everyone in the family can shoot everything in the armory ... if they wanted to. My 17yo daughter is also a good shot, but does not enjoy large calibers or hunting, so I've found she prefers the .38/.357 lever guns and handguns (.22, .32, .38/.357, .380, .40). She tried .44 once just to get a feel, but not since.

Edit: Just thought you might try looking at Handi Rifles too. Inexpensive, well made, accurate and good caliber selection, and if they don't like it, you can more likely sell it or rebarrel it to something to suit you.
held fast

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
That's not a bad idea Chaps.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
I think remington makes a model 7 youth rifle for lefties.  Not 100% sure though.

Ur thinking is correct!

Quote from Rem's website:

"Now  the Model 700 SPS Youth is offered in a left-handed version chambered for 243 Win and 7mm-08 Rem and is the first-ever southpaw youth rifle offering. Our new Managed Recoil 7mm-08 Rem ammunition is the perfect complement to this addition."
    Ray

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
my daughter is left handed but shoots right handed.

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 05:24:28 AM »
Broke 'em in on handis and revolvers.  One son is now in USAF and does not feel handicapped shooting his M4 lefty....

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
My youngest is left eyed but right handed. Figured it out with BB guns when he couldn't hit a thing shooting right and his gun was pointed all crazy. He's 8 and for now shoots a Chipmunk.  I got him the Savage MK 2 youth lefty too. But he needs more size to carry it.  Shoots it at the range off the bench for now - its really not much smaller than the adult size. And with his smaller hand he often gets messed up on the Accu trigger, pulls to the side so you get a click but no bang.  Have to recock and pull straight back - I have mixed feelings about that trigger really. Overall a nice gun decent price.  Sure wish they made the CZ Scout in lefty model. Have one of those for my 11 yr old - GREAT gun. I liked it so much I almost kept it for myself short stock and all.

I'd sure look at the Savage Lefty guns youth and adult if I wanted centerfire.  A young friend of mine (17) got a stainless '06 a couple years ago and loves it. Has 2 moose to its credit now.

I'm tempted to get one in some big game caliber for my little guy just to make sure he has something when he's big enough. The grow SO fast!

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
Not our kids but DW's a lefty. She shoots a Browning BL-22 lever I got her 30 years ago. IIRR Remington made a left-hand 581 22, I recall the bolt handle on the left side but it still ejected to the right.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »
Daughter and I are both LH.
We shoot NEF's, Ruger No 1s, O/U shotgun.
Also a LH bolt gun which is my least favorite, but its all-weather.
Shoot the 10/22 a lot; the rh ejection is a non-issue for both of us.
You really don't notice it, because you are focused downrange.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:24:11 AM »
 My daughter is also right handed and left eye dominate. Found it out with the .22's. She kept laying her head acrossed the stock ::) She now shoots left handed and quite well at it. She shoots my handi's and her Mossberg pump with no issues. Good luck.

Lonny

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
My son is. 13 yrs old. A Browning Micro Midas that he will soon outgrow.

If you want to sell your sons bow place it in the classifieds please. OF
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
my  right handed dad  had a left  handed  son

i  shoot  right  handed tho  i am  left handed....mostly  not  always

shoot hand guns left handed tho

no dominant  eye

both  my sons shoot left  handed  tho one is right handed
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »
One of my daughters shoots lefty, she shoots my H&R Handi-rifles which are ambidextrous. She also has a left handed recurve bow. She is right handed but didn't have much problem making the transition.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783