Author Topic: Loading the 30 30 with pointed soft point and Ballistic tip bullets.  (Read 1677 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Just wondering what COL you are using with the above mentioned bullets. I know that the col is shown as 2.550. I measured some flat nose and they were 2.51. If I use the pointed sp or ballistictip to that COL, it's a mighty short bullet. I know that I can make a COL gauge as per the FAQ"S, but just wanted to know what you have found for the 2 bullets. The Rem is 150 gr cl psp and the Ballistic tip is the 125 gr Nosler. Let me know what you have found as your "GO TO" col for these mentioned.
                                              Thanks
                                                           Jim   <")))><

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Loading the 30 30 with pointed soft point and Ballistic tip bullets.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Jim,

If you look in the pistol section of some manuals, you'll see spitzer bullet data, Nosler and Hornady both use 2.550".  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:04:05 AM »
Chambers have different throats so you will have to make you a case by cutting a line down one side of the neck and finger start a bullet into it and put it into your chamber and close the action to see where it pushes the bullet back into the case.Then you can start backing the bullet off the lands until you find the OAL that shoots the best. You did not say what you were shooting. If you are using a tubular magazine rifle don't load a round in the magazine and have the point rest on another rounds primer. I have used pointed bullets years ago in a tub mag 30-30 but I put one in the chamber and only one in the magazine. With these rifles your OAL will be determined by what will work through the action. 

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »
Just finish measuring with the gauge as you suggested. Tim had suggested looking at the pistol data, but I didn't have much on that.  After measuring I found that 2.685 will give me what I'm looking for. Oh yes, it's for the 30 30 Handi. She is already a good shooter, but I think with this 125 gr. Nosler BT., she will do a little better. ;D
                                               Thanks for the help.
                                                                        Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:16 AM »
Nosler lists RL7, H4198, H335, IMR3031, AA2460, N140 and H4895 for the 125gr NBT in their 14" 30-30 test barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
The 125 Nosler ballistic tips are really accurate and they will do a number on a deer.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
midway has a blem sale going on bullets right now and i see they have the 160 grain 3030 hornady plastic tipped bullets listed on it.
blue lives matter