Author Topic: "Ban the Cannons"  (Read 740 times)

Offline Sunrise

• Trade Count: (0)
"Ban the Cannons"
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:30:13 AM »
May be of interest, especially to people on the west coast (British Columbia and Washington state): http://www.banthecannons.com/. There is an action group lobbying to ban propane cannons, which are apparently used to scare birds away from fruit trees.

Not of direct interest to us, but something tells me that they would also be opposed to the noise of black powder cannon users too.  :(

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: "Ban the Cannons"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:44:13 AM »
Thanks Sunrise for fixing your post.

The healthy bang of our guns that we so much enjoy is simply noise to others, something to always keep in mind.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
its music for me , same feeling as with some classical musik 
opera is noice for me , and many of the modern stuff
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
more like chink chink of money going in both of your pockets is your kinda music............and very quiet hiss of the surgeons knife trying to remove it.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Propane 'cannons' are used as artillary simulators by the military as well as for bird scaring devices.

I know of one fellow who lost a bit of his hearing from using one -  was having so much fun that he  didn't note that he was bleeding from both ears, both eyes, and his nose.

To be MUCH respected.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
All it is going to do is make food prices go higher.
If the cannons did not scare away the birds they would not use them.
The birds eat or destroy fruit crops and if the birds eat or ruin 25% of the crop then there are 25% less fruit brought to market and lower supply means higher prices.
It also means the farmers are going to find other ways to keep the birds from eating the fruit.  Such as shotguns and 22 rifles.
When my old neighbor planted 10 acers of grapes in his yard he asked for my retriever trainer to scare off the birds just before the crush.
when it did not work he asked for a small Ga shotgun to eliminate the ones that were not afraid of the noise.

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:45:20 PM »
I live in WA state and am not overly shocked at all by this. “Ban first an ignore all the questions” could be the state motto here in regards to the law. You can’t own most Class II and no Class III weapons in this state and CCW rights are supported only because it’s in the state constitution from back in the day when the politics still leaned to the right. The only reason fireworks are still legal here is that the Indian reservations (which there are many of) make a ton of money off the sale of fireworks. I hope it doesn’t extend to black powder stuff, especially as there really are few guns in this state, especially in comparison to those in NE states.
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!