Author Topic: Say hello to my little freind !  (Read 2429 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: Say hello to my little freind !
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:27 AM »
Silver Star?  Bronze Star??  Three Day Pass???   :-\
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:35 AM »
Silver Star?  Bronze Star??  Three Day Pass???   :-\

Kewpie is as high as it gets! There is nothing higher or greater!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
     Guess who dropped by to see the cannon makers at the Broomfield, CO Cannon Manufactory yesterday, again?  Like those relatives who drop by on their cross-country vacation trip to say hi, and end up staying a week!  That's right, just like those pesky red ants at my rented property in Louisiana or that perennial aphid infestation of my backyard peonies, Gary Lorenz came back, again.  

At least he brought something interesting to work on, his new Louverenz Gun, Anno 1660.  He was all chipper and happy and begins his spiel by saying, "It's not much of a cannon without a bore, fellas."  His eyebrows flutter as if trying to get a, "That's true" or "You've got that right, Gary", response.  Instead, I stare him right square in the eyes and say,  "Looks just fine the way it is to me, Gary".  Then Gary puts the 'Stare' on Mike, and Mike, as resolute as putty, relents and signs up for a five hour adventure.  The pics tell the story.

Tracy and Mike

The test indicator is swung 360 degs. to get the muzzle centered.

The 'Dead-Head' is centerdrilled.

Chips and ribbons fly as an aluminum, Base-Ring, Clamping-Collar is machined.

The carefully made clamping collar holds the breech end of Gary's cannon without marring it during lathe turning operations.

The Dead-Head is turned round so it can fit inside a special aluminum, adapter-bushing which, in turn, fits into the steady-rest.

With the tube carefully centered, and held in the same shop-made, steady-rest we use for gundrilling and reaming our customer tubes,
a new, half inch, Milwaukee, drill bit is brought up to peck-drill the bronze bore, .050" per drill bit advance.  This method, along with high-sulfur cutting oil, creates a bright, smooth and straight bore.  Not loading the bit with compacted chips is the key here.  Try it!

Close-up of center-drilled Dead-Head, Aluminum Bushing, Precision Steady-Rest and Milwaukee drill bit.

A muzzle-face perpendicular to the bore is important for the accuracy of this Postal Match shooter.  After removing 90% of the Dead-Head with the bandsaw, a new, razor-sharp, 3/4" solid carbide end mill by Weldon is used to very lightly trim off the excess muzzle bronze.  A flat, square, no-pits, shiny, muzzle-face resulted.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
Wow! :o  You guys should get half of the kewpie. ::)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
     Zulu,   Gary deserves the entire Kewpie Award here, we just like to help out our friends when we can.  We like to think that good looking cannons can be accurate too.  Why not?  How can you possibly deny a little help to someone who cleans up with his flintlock rifle at Mountain Man Rendezvous Shoots while wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops?  At Seacoast Artillery characters are always welcome and Gary is an authentic character who will always be welcome here. 

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
 :o Who the hell you calling a charater ? Charater !  ;D  He is right I do deserve the whole Kewpie  ::). Darn it Tracy when you are right you are right !

Yea that all did happen way back when ,my brother and I would got to local shoots . On occasion we'd walk off with all 5 turkeys ....All these buckskinner types Whaaaaahhh , wearing dead animal skins and all that crap .

Then we'd show up with a nice rifle or two , wearing flip flops red hawian shirt and bermuda shorts and suntan lotion and a big staw hat .

I'll never forget one old dober said to me on a shoot off , "I don't cotten much to shootin paper targets ."

"I turned to look him in the eye and said well then you are going to lose " . and he did .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
Gary, that's one fine looking piece of stock! Curly Maple? You did a magnificent job on that flintlock! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
 That's the most beautiful new-made barrel I've ever seen.

If I could cast something like that I'd have it under a scope for as long as it took to chase an already exquisite item into even more of a masterpiece. Something a filthy rich oil baron would have on display in his library.

Get your own shop set up soon Gary. M&T aint gonna stand for your cannons selling for as much as theirs without taking a cut. ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »
Gary,

That's a fine Pennsylvania rifle,  but either the negatives were reversed or you are a lefty......

and I'm not talking politics....

Nice work on the Drilling fixtures M&T now Gary has a chance of winning the postal shoot...... ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 01:50:06 AM »
That's what I was thinking...the lock appears to be on the wrong side of the gun.  If it's not right...it must be wrong! ;D

Nice looking gun, though.

Great work on the boring M&T!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
lock and stock look right to me... ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »
Thanks for the complements guys . Yes I'm a lefty . I did not build this rifle it was made in 82 by a gunsmith in Parris Tenn. named Bergmann . It's my baby .36 cal .

Now about Mike and Tracy . Tracy takes some grest pics but Mike is the big help on the machining ,and yes he does get a cut . But a cut of nothing is ...... ;D

Tracy is busy adjusting the spring tention on his fold a fin flipper shell , it must have 15 diferant moving parts . The best part is it all fits inside an aspareguss can .

at .050 per pass on drilling the bore it takes two to do it .

Yes I will chase the thing to its conclusion .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 02:46:48 PM »
have it happened anything more with the polishing ??
we are curious gary   ;D  at least I am  :-[
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
Yea , I keep working away on it . It will have a low polish finish there are parts of it that are on the same plane as a surface that could be polished up .

It would never match .

I think also I may ...... go ahead and 'patina' it . There are many differant kinds . Some keep on darkining and some do not . I think I'll go with a darkening one so it has some kinda real chariter .

Most parting lines are cleaned up ..... nEVER agian ! Why didnt you ever tell me to spend more time on the wax ? Huuummmmmm ?  ;)

My wrists are aching now .....forearms too .... I gotta get some handles for the needle files .
Gary

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
sorry gary ,
I guess that I dint tell you more than maybe 87 times that its better to spend 5 extra hours on the wax than to spend a full week with the bronze  ;D

but the next time I will tell you 93 times   ::)

but now when you done that mistake once I suppose that you dont do it any more  :'(
there is no better way to learn than by your own mistakes  ;D
pain is a good teacher   :o
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry