Author Topic: Help with encore 7mag reloading  (Read 426 times)

Offline mdyer

• Trade Count: (7)
Help with encore 7mag reloading
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
I just bought a encore 7mag barrell. Can anyone give me a suggestion on a good load powder,primers,I would like to shoot 140gr bullets in it and seating debth of your bullett over all case length I guess.
Thanks

Offline Carl l.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
Re: Help with encore 7mag reloading
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
The best advice I can give you is buy a couple reloading manuels. Carl L.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »
+ one on a reloading manual The latest lee gives all this info and you can also go on the Hodgdon web site and get a lot of info as well as info on reduced loads or youth loads. Powders as well as bullet type and weight are listed.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »
By all means, if you don't already have a manual, buy a couple.  You can also get load information online from the powder manufacturers/purveyors.

What I use in mine with 140 and 160 gr. bullets is:

Powder: RL-22
Primer: Federal 210M (large rifle match)
Case: Whatever I have available

To determine the optimal COAL, seat a bullet a little long and try to chamber the round.  Incrementally increase seating depth until the action just closes.  Inspect the bullet to see if the lands have marked the bullet.  Obviously, the first round you try to chamber will have land marks so you will need another cartridge for the final check on land marks.  When the action closes easily and there are no marks from the lands on the bullet, the bullet will be seated just off the lands which is good for most bullets.  Barnes bullets like a little jump so you should seat them a little deeper.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:09 AM »
I am using the reduced loads in mine 41 grns Hodgdon H 4895 with a seirra 120 grn bullet and CCI large rifle primer. This load is about the same as a 7x57 which is what I wanted  But again start with a manual if you do not have one.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
 A combo that works great for me is Winchester brass and primer large rifle mag ,over Hodgdon H-1000 67gr. pushing a Nosler Partition 150 gr.bullet.The best way to get the O.A.L. is with a gauge sold by Hornady,but you can do it without, first take a fired brass and the bullet you will be shooting, you must do this with each bullet type you will be using not all are the same..take a black sharpie marker and coat the bullet all over with black ink and let dry. the bullet should fit snugly in the case push it in the action and close.when you remove the case from the action the bullet will  stick in the barrel use a cleaning rod to knock it out the bullet. it will be marked from the scrapes as it slides into the case and you should see the marks from the lands. place the bullet back in the case to ware the scrapes end and measure. then take about .05 off and you should be right in the ball park-Good luck and shoot straight and often  Brett
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »
Is this the only 7 mag that you own? If not, I'd keep the brass separate from any others. A lot of times you'll find brass from one won't work in another. My youngun found this out the hard way and ended up giving a bunch of his "good" brass to his buddy after it was shot in his buddy's Encore. Probably could have fixed the whole mess by buying some small base dies, but didn't want to spend anymore on something that he'd been warned about already(tough love).

HWD