Author Topic: cast bullets for 25-20 wcf need help  (Read 679 times)

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
cast bullets for 25-20 wcf need help
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:52:16 AM »
I am wanting to shoot some cast lead in a model 92 win in 25-20 anyone out there have any experience in this critter  Lyman makes a mold but its a gas check 8? grain,  and rcbs makes one in there cowboy line 60? no gas chesck.     Would like to know anyones experience with either mold or maybe suggestions on other molds.  Maybe a mold trade if someone is no longer shooting 25 calsand is looking for a different cal.   Any advice appreciated,   SN

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: cast bullets for 25-20 wcf need help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »
I had the Lyman mold--in fact I may still have it. I don't have the 25-20 any more (Marlin Classic). Up until a couple of years ago I still had about half-a-coffee-can full of those little Lyman 257420 bullets all cast up.  There's lots of those little fellers in half-a-can. With my wheelweight mix they cast out at around 69 grains.  My brother had acquired a pristine model 92 in that caliber, so I sized them up and gaschecked them. Then he went on Gunbroker and saw what pristine early-1920's saddlering carbines were selling for, and immediately locked his little rifle up.  When I had my 25-20, I shot those little bullets a lot--every bit as accurate as a jacketed Remington 86 grainer.  Send me a PM.  Brother Art has a bunch of those little cast bullets still, and would probably be willing to part with some.  He's got an abundance of them.  I don't know anything about the RCBS cowboy bullet--it's listed as an 85 grainer. It should be a good one as well.  That's a caliber just made for fun with cast bullets.

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: cast bullets for 25-20 wcf need help
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the respnse.  As long as I live I am still always amazed with this site.  I almost always hit paydirt on info, and in the years I have been coming here I dont believe I have ever traded info with better people.  I just ordered some 32-20 brass.  Seems like the world run out of 25-20 so I will try necking down.  I would be happy to pay you for some of your cast bullets.  If they work on the rifle I would   consider purchasing dies, punch and mold if you wanted to sell it.  I have high hopes for my new to me 1920 model 92.  Its been molested so its not a collector, but it has fairly recent liner in it so its got a good bore.  I have always wanted a vintage winnie but they bring a little more than I could justify.  So this entire deal will be a learing experience.      My hopes is it will shoot well, but only time will tell.  PM me if you are interested in selling some bullets and I will send you the money.  Thanks for the help either way.  Sincerly Steve.