Author Topic: Cutting down the hammer  (Read 570 times)

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cutting down the hammer
« on: November 17, 2003, 03:02:43 PM »
It makes sense, initially, but keep in mind the shroud on the hammer that serves as a rear sight, is also the shroud that contains cap debris at the moment of detonation!  If it is cut down too much, there is the distinct possibility of debris escaping in unwanted directions!  This should be considered a risky proposition.  I have experimented with two of my pistols.  One an 1860 Army and the other a 51 Navy.  With the army, I deepened the hammer notch, widening it in the direction I wanted my balls to strike.  In addition, I did take the shroud down enough that it no longer made contact with the cylinder, which it did at the very end of the shroud.  This allowed me a lower rear sight, but it still contains cap debris.  With the deeper sight notch, you have to learn to aim a little differently than you normally would.  I find that I lower the front sight into the notch until it is barely visible and now I have proper POI with my balls.  With the navy, all I had to do was lower the notch a bit to obtain proper POI.

Dan C

Offline Flint

cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 06:50:41 PM »
The amount I had to raise the front sight on 2 Armies, total height now 5/16 inch, would have about completely removed the hammer's hood, and as Dan said, would increase the cap debris.  Remember there's a vent hole from the powder charge through the nipple and if the cap disitegrates or blows off you get a face full of copper and fire.  It would get particularly bad if you mounted an Army in an accessory shoulder stock, putting your face even closer.  It's easy enough to replace the front sight with a blank brass blade and go to the range with a file to trim until the height is right, then reshape and taper the blade.  After the silver solder job, however, the barrel will need reblueing.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline jgalar

Cutting down the hammer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 02:25:33 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll keep in mind the cap shield and if need be will just cut the V into a groove and adjust my sight picture.

I wish someone made a 36 with adjustable sights!

Offline Flint

sights
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 06:45:38 AM »
An open top Colt could have an adjustable sight mounted at the rear of the barrel where the Colt Conversion and 1872 Open top sight was mounted.  It and the front sight would have to be tall enough to see over the hammer at full cock.  The 36 Navy Remington could have adjustable sights easily mounted, as they are on the Target version of the 44 Cal Remington, see VTIgunparts for part numbers and prices.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life