Author Topic: Hog Hunt in the South East  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Hog Hunt in the South East
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »
I live on the FL Panhandle and I giving some thought to a paid hunt in the next few months.  I'd prefer a guaranteed kill or at least a no shot no pay hunt.  I'd prefer to shoot something that didn't look like it just came off a feed lot.  A European boar or Piney Woods Rooter is what I'm looking for.  It doesn't have to be a deluxe hunt but lodging and a place to cook would be nice.  Dressing and wrapping of meat would be nice too.  Any suggestions.  I'd prefer suggestions from people who've actually been on a hunt with the outfit they are suggesting.  I'm hoping to stay in the $600.00 or less price range.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline RON17T

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hog Hunt in the South East
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
Danny SantAngelo right in florida.I hunted hogs and gators with him. Great guide just type his name on google and his website will come up.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:32:04 AM »
The only place I've hunted in FL was Carter's Pasture but I think Mike closed it down to public hunting. It was 1100 acres of thick northern FL west of Jacksonville and had hogs and several exotics roaming freely on the place and reproducing on there same as if they were free range. As I recall it was no kill no pay except for meals and lodging.

The URL was: www.carterspasture.com but as I said I think Mike shut it down. You might try googling it to see if someone else has reopened it. He and his brother owned it and I don't know what became of it.

That link is dead and the domain is for sale. I did find a little more about them with Mike's contact info at this site: http://www.huntearth.com/client/2945/carter%5C%27s_pasture You might give him a call and see if he or anyone else is still running an hunting operation there.

Here is a list of other FL outfits offering hunts. I know nothing of them really.

http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com/florida_hunting_fishing/Florida-Hunting-2/Florida-Hunting-ranch.html

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »
Thanks GB, I'll check them out.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
I recommend Bear Bridge Ranch.  The lodge is an actual 3 BR house capable of sleeping up to 12 people, with all amenities.  I am heading back this fall.

www.bearbridgeranch.com
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline RON17T

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
Bear Bridge looked interesting.What are their rates and how big is the property?

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
About 1200 acres as I recall.  There are 6 different stands and they have different rates.   My most recent issue of BHM lists a 2-Hog special of $295.00.  That would be a trophy feral hog and a meat hog IIRC.   My first time was last year and I plan to go back this year again.   They lodge is an actual 3-bedroom house, with all amenities.

ST762

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline RON17T

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 04:02:39 AM »
I watched to video on their website and have my doubts,what I saw in the video looked like shooting a pig in the barnyard. I was also not impressed with them not shooting the pig a second time and just letting it suffer before it died,arrows arn't that expensive. Maybe the place is different than their website video -I sure hope so!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 04:08:06 AM »
It's a pig.

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
These are wild feral hogs on this ranch.   The operation is no different than if you were on a hunting lease and conducting all operations yourself.   In the video, the pig took a solid fatal hit.  Any hunter that has spent a good deal of time hunting feral hogs and wild boars knows that you allow time for the creature to expire.   The hogs are fed by means of a feeder system to congregate them in the stand locations and also to administer the de-worming medication, and are hunted from the stand locations.  There are some here who would claim it is shooting them in a barnyard, and they are entitled to their beliefs.   I look at this operation as similar to a hunting lease, and I have absolutely no qualms about a return visit.   Besides, it is safer than being in the woods with several hundred men with guns that I do not know or trust.

If you have any questions, or would like to view the property, call the guide their Scott at 4074666803 and make an appointment to view the property.       

ST762