Author Topic: looking for advice on shotgun for small woman  (Read 932 times)

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
looking for advice on shotgun for small woman
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
my mother likes to shoot clays when we go but has a hard time with most any adult size gun . she needs a youth model but i don't think she can handle a 20 gauge . i have a .410 single and so done my step father but the barrel and stock is to long .

I think she would also get frustrated with the small pattern of the .410  as i did  at first . i was thinking of a 28 gauge . i have considered trading my 26 inch .410 barrel for a 22-24 inch 28 gauge barrel for her and getting a youth stock set , but my .410 barrel has 2 big sports were the bluing is gone so i don't think it would trade(plus its a great squirrel gun ).

she would only be shooting clays with us not hunting as she has arthritis and asthma , so it would not get used all that much . but i would like to get something for her when i have the cash . what would you guys recommended should i try for a .410 or a 28 ? 

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: looking for advice on shotgun for small woman
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
   Go with the 28. I wasn't very impressed with my 410. I don't hunt or shoot much anymore so i sold the 410 and the 28. spikehorn bought the 28 ga. Ask him what he thinks of it. When i had it it did a better job on squirrels than the 410. Should work great for clays.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Get the 28ga and there are a bunch of youth stocks listed in the H&R classifieds right now seen a few in the WTT. I was in walmart today and they had 28ga 7 1/2 game loads. couldn't believe they had 28ga shells.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
It's a tough call, everyone is different. I took a lady friend shooting with my 28 gauge and she started to flinch after a while. I switched her over to the .410 and she loves it, no flinching at all. The 28 patterns noticeably better but it's no good if it makes her flinch.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
its you  mom
she  likes  to shoot
get  her  both

but  then  what  has  she  done  for you?
its  you  mom.....dumb question

seriously  i never  shot  a 28
but  was  really surprised  how  good  the  410  shoots on  clay
seriously  i would get my mom both
and  when she  told what one she liked best
come back and get  advice  on  what double in  her new favorite gage
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
its not only the stock but the barrel that is too long as well . i do tend to keep several boxes of .410 around for mine and a hunting buddy of mine reloads em for me . for just shooting clays i think a more open choke would be best , mod most likely . i wont have cash until i get caught up with bills until march but that gives me plenty of time to look around and find something for her .

she dose not want me to spend the money on her , but she will have a hard time stopping me :) . i may take her into the local shop and have a gun fitted to her . i talked with them while i was there today and they will cut a stock and fit a pad to what she needs for $80 . they have lots of singles in there and could likely order what she needed and they would fit it to her .

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
how  old  is she....mine is 80

you  buy  a gun  for a kid  for him to grow  into

she  might out grow  the  28
and  if  you fitting  it  to  her

you  wont have to  refit  for  a  410  latter
she  won't  have to give  up an  old  gun  if she  gets  to frail  for  the 28
and  have to go through  relearning  a weaker  shell

just  another though  and  aspect
may or may not be relevant
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »
she is 45 . but has bad arthritis (Fibromyalgia) she can only shoot a 20 gauge once or twice before she has to quit . the .410 she can shoot half a box or so before she gets sore or tired . she has used my 410 in the past but had a longer pull than she could comfortably shoot . i was looking on the H&R web site and the .410 pardner compact or the topper junior in .410 look about right for her .

i can locally get a youth rossi mached pair  22lr and 410 for about $140 , but not sure of the quality of that brand . she likely will not shoot it more than a few times a year but she really like to shoot and its great to see her smile when she breaks a clay .

i could look into the rossi , and im sure she would have no trouble at all with the 22lr , infact i think with a nice low power scope or a nice red dot that may be the way to go . if she gets to sore to shoot the .410 anymore then the 22lr from a bench should not be a problem at all .

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
 If she can only shoot 1/2 box of .410 it sounds as though your money would be wasted on a 28.  If you go with a wood stock, it can be cut to any length to fit her, I not sure a synthetic can be cut very short if at all.  I've seen a few women that found youth stocks to still be too long.  Go with a Limbsaver  recoil pad, these help with recoil as much as any I've tried.  Weight or lack therof can be an issue with single shot shotguns, you might possibly be able to add some weight inside the butt stock to help her withstand recoil.....

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:52:41 AM »
If you decide on the 28ga ,take a look at Ables ammo website.They carry RIO shotshells in 28ga for a very reasonable price,($8.99 for a box of 25 ),in sizes from#8 to #6 in both 3/4 and 1oz loads. I've used them and they are good shells for the money.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:01:46 AM »
If recoil is an issue then I would stay away from the rossi.Because of frame design or weight, they tend to be kickers. 410 could end up feeling like a 28ga or a 20ga
                                                              410ga

Offline matthew_h

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:14:51 AM »
thanks for the info spikehorn i new there was a reason i did not buy that rossi 308 i was looking at :) . i have a complete barreled action savage 62f 22lr that i could fix up and put on a red dot sight as she has a bit of trouble with a regular scope . she wont really tell me what she wants , she just says not to spend the money on her and to use it for myself , i guess i got to figure out some way to get to to the gun shop and see what she likes and what fits her .

i don't think that the 410 recoil is what bothers her as much as the length of the gun and how awkward it is .

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:45:54 AM »
I had a rossi 308 the recoil was absolutely brutal. I sold it and bought a Stevens 200 that shot sub MOA out of the box. Last spring I bought a Dick's SG H&R ultra varmint 308 and I swear felt recoil is less than the Stevens 200. I think there is a 22" 28ga bbl. check H&Rs web site
                                                              410ga

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
how about a 20 ga and a reloader and tailor loads to her. you may have to use filler wad to make the shot colum the right hight but light loads are easy to make. and will patern much better than a 410. I have 6 boys and they were all small for their age. so barrel length and fit were a big concern.  I also learned that I could make 5/8oz loads that shot at around 1000fps that the kids could hit with without leaving them beat up.  my grandmother still liked to shoot till she died, so keep mom out their as long as she wants to.  good luck . DR

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
I got one of these, a 20 gauge Pardner Pump Compact http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp
for my daughter, she weighs 90 lbs. and with these, 3/4 oz low recoil loads http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89224
she has no problems shooting it. The shotgun cost about $200
I'm using it alot myself, short and light, great for heavy cover!

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
Quote from: gustmouse link=
for my daughter, she weighs 90 lbs. and with these, 3/4 oz low recoil loads http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89224

[/quote
give those a try. they are just a hair more than 1000 fps. but are a good start. DR

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »
The ammo for 410 and 28ga. is costly. The 20 gauge is a better choice. A 20ga.pardner compact, or the black topper youth mod. should be good. I know in this part of the forum the H&R's are top Dog. But if its just the shooting part she's only interested in and she don't really mind the gun, then Rossi also makes some pretty decent 20 gauges. I've shot both, and both do the same exact thing.Matter of fact I hit more clays with the 20ga. Rossi than I hit with 28ga. H&R. Your question and decision are worth a well done search. scout4<><

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND FLOWERS! POSSIBLY CHOCOLATES.