Author Topic: Back from Wild Hill...  (Read 2069 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Back from Wild Hill...
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
Nice short. cold and rainey...even had some snow flurries and sleet...very nice hogs though!  Here's mine, about 325ish pounds...used my 7x57, 175gr hornady rn bullets.. Worked well!! will post my bud Jerry's hog when he sends me some pics.

Jerry's Boar

Pete's bison
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Back from Wild Hill...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Big pig!!! I like the mannlicher stock on your 7x57!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline RON17T

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
That's a great looking hog. Looks like they have some nice animals up there. I think I might try to go up there for a ram this summer.

Offline btmidwest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
Drdougrx,  Was it a stalk or stand hunt?  What was the range?  Where 'd you hit 'em?  Sounds like the ole 7mm was up to the task.  Please share the details.   Thanks and Regards,  BT

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
Yes we need details. Nice rifle and a nice boar. Congrats.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
Nice boar Doug, especially with that fine classic looking firearm and load.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
drrougrx ,
   give us the details on range etc..
Can you get close enough to take these with a T/C 44 mag scoped pistol ?
Shooter
Shooter

Offline MildBill

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:16 AM »
Will it join the others on your wall of fame? Your friends buffalo is huge, I'm sure they didn't use their ATV to move it! You mentioned another friend who went up with you but didn't stay as there were no rams. Can you tell me more?
Mild Bill

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:00:58 AM »
Thanks All.....I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

btmidwest....it was both stand and stalk actually.  The preserve is huge and the typical VT mountains...since I drive a desk with a mouse most days, those mountains get higher and higher every year!  You always start out on stand in areas where there's activity.  The guides then go out and try to locate animals and either drive them to you or pick you up and bring you to where they've seen them.  The place has some really huge fields and alot of open space, so when they see game, they radio the other guides.  They keep an eye on them till you get there or to some probable intercept or drive the game towards.  I hit this boar in the lungs broadside at about 70 yards as it was walking just inside the edge of a big field.  It ran toward us at the shot and I hit it again through the shoulders at about 25 yards.  I really don't think it was a charge, just a poor sense of direction!

Shooter....I've taken quite a few with a SW29 and iron sights...no problem.  I actually carried my m29, 4" mountain gun in the morning hunt and switched to the rifle in the afternoon for no other reason than it was raining less (always seems to rain when I have a wood stocked gun).

My pal Jerry shot his pig at under 20 yards as it came up a trail.  Again, he wanted something in the 250lb range and passed on a few that he thought were smaller.  The guides saw a big one making its way along an atv track, radiod for a pick up and brought Jerry to a spot ahead of and above the pig.  He waited half an hour and the pig continued to meander along the trail though about 15 yards in the woods on his side of the trail.  Jerry was above the pig and one 300gr Winchester HP from a 45/70 Marlin Guide gun was all that was needed.

Mildbill....yep...a mounting it will go..just lov'm!  The buff was moved by ATV and trailer with a winch and 4 of us heaving and pushing (they have some really big ATVs) and they took a perimiter road down from this particular field where the back hoe took over...whatta monster and yet...not the herd bull who was twice the size of this one.  He used an 06 with 180gr rem corelokts, 4 shots to heart and lungs at 80ish yards (check my pics and see what you think for distance, they shot first from the woods and then walked to the edge of the field).  Pete was puzzled as to why the buff didn't go down on the first shot..... ::)

Anyway...they had some rams but were small...they actually had to buy several (hundred) this year because the coyotes were as thick as flies and have been decimating the ram flocks.  They trapped 24 since March 1st...2 while we were there.  They are investing in some kind of electric fence that is supposed to keep them out more effecticely.  We heard them howling at night....worst than it has ever been.  Anyway...they bought enough rams to hunt and restart their flock....I expect that since we were the first hunt of the spring season, they hadn't arrived yet so you should be fine!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
What an outstanding pig!!  Nice hunt!  The bison looks very good!! :o
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline btmidwest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:21 AM »
Drdougrx,  As good as you are witha gun and as much as you like to hunt  ;D ;D I hope give that mouse on your desk a break....eek!!! :o :o

Nice pic's and congrats.   Thanks for the update.  BT 

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
Doug - very nice hog.  That 7mm really looks sweet.  Are coyotes in season there now?? 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
Hey Mikey....I don't think there is a season though I may be wrong.

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:59:14 AM »
Very nice hogs! and a nice buffalo too.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin