Author Topic: 12" of rain this Spring  (Read 1139 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
12" of rain this Spring
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:16:11 AM »
We've had just over 12" of rain since January at our place south of Carta Valley.  Here are some pics, of course it is brown in winter, but comparing the same area from then till yesterday is a dramatic difference.  Also, this is my new hunting spot on the 90 acres we bought a few months back.

same spot last winter without the feeder set up.

New set up

One more from the trail

markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 12" of rain this Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »
Good looking set up Mark. I'm glad to hear you're getting the rain you need out there. We've sure been getting a lot of it around here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline markc

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
Hi GB, thanks.  I am really looking forward to the upcoming season.   All 3 feeders are seeing visits from critters.  Have you had flooding up there?   We had 7" in Del Rio last week or so and it flooded for a short time.   100+ mph winds in Rocksprings that blew out a lot of windows..   
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
I'm high enough that no real flooding happens at my house but down front where my pond is has flooding some. It has been in constant over flow all year so far. Around the area most low places have flooded several times this year not to the extent it did in Nashville but bad enough to mess upl homes and cars and such.

That's a nice looking set up you have at that feeder and blind. It looks like you have quite a good view from there of animals coming down to it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:21:12 AM »
Ain't odd that not too long ago we were in the worst drought in 50 years?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline markc

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
Dee, aint that the truth!   We have quickly gone, at least in that area, from serious, extreme drought, to really wet this spring.  The rains began in January, and have been frequent, but with breaks in between, which is unusual.  We have been blessed with rain, and no real flooding out there.  The deer should be in good health and the couple I came across looked fat and healthy.  It should be a really good year antler wise as well. 

GB, that set up has an incredible field of view.  To the right of the blind (not pictured) is another deep draw that runs 1000' of more.  There is basically a T shaped set of draws out in front of the blind.  The set up is on a little rise that gets really steep behind the blind a ways.   I am looking forward to hunting back there. It is very secluded as well.  No one hunts anywhere near there on the adjoining tracts.  I can see one blind across the fence on a hill side, and it is a really long way off, too high above the valley to see deer traveling.  That side is really choked with cedar, so I am not sure what view they have over there.   

Here is a view of the blind, with hill behind it.  The hill is farther away than it appears, and much taller and steeper than it appears in the picture.
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
Well Mark hopefully one of these days we'll be able to get out and visit with you and see the land for ourselves. I don't see any trips in my future this year but ya never know what another year might bring.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline markc

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
GB, I will be retiring from the city next February, so I will have a little more time on my hands. I intend to make more trips to the ranch than I do now.  When you and Faye are able, we'll plan a trip out there and hunt a few days..
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
Sounds like a plan Mark it's been far too long since we've visited with you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline markc

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
It has been a really long time, way back at BHO II at the Reed Ranch I think.   You can always come hunt our place, and or book a hunt of some sort at the Martin Ranch 6 miles from us.  Max Martin is a heck of a good guy, and a good neighbor out there. He has some intersting stories about illegals showing up on his ranch, or drug smugglers in the middle of the night.   Got to love Texas border towns.
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »
Illegals and drug smugglers might make for interesting stories but it sure doesn't sound like much fun to deal with. Of course these days illegals and drug dealers sure aren't limited to border towns.

Yes I think BHO II was the last time we were in Texas tho we've been up to the OK panhandle shooting prairie dogs. Last year we thought we were gonna get back to Texas and up to CO and WY and out to NM as well but our youngest son Phil got sick so we cancelled the extension of the PD hunt and headed directly back home.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline markc

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »
GB, Teresa and I are headed to S/W Colorado the last week of July.  We are driving the Jeep up and will do some off roading along the Alpine Loop, and do some other stuff while we are there.   We haven't been on a trip other than out to the ranch in a few years.   
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
Should be a nice trip for the two of you. I hope it doesn't turn out for you like my first trip to CO did when the transmission on my Bronco gave out on the high peaks. I had to leave it there and find another way home. It wound up costing me about $3500 to get it fixed and back home.

We sure were looking forward to our trip up thru CO into WY and back thru NM to the Texas Panhandle and back to OK again for a visit to Fort Sill before returning home. I guess it was not to be but maybe another time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline markc

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:56 AM »
GB, my last trip to Colorado was when the kids were still young and living at home.  Our Ford van stranded us several times in the high altitudes.  As it turned out the fuel pump wasn't pushing hard enough in the thin air.  $500.00 for a fuel pump and we headed home.  Our next trip with the kids was with the church, and on a chartered bus.  They had a blast, but it was an expensive trip.  This time, we will be doing the things we weren't able to do when the kids were little.  Besides, they aren't going this time, only the Mrs. and I.    We are driving my 06 Jeep Liberty, doing some off roading..
markc