Author Topic: Winchester Mod 94 30wcf  (Read 1909 times)

Offline brianscott12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Alabama
Re: Winchester Mod 94 30wcf
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 03:53:53 AM »
I just got through talkin to someone on another forum who has access to the Winchester ledgers at the Cody Museum. He is a volunteer there through out the year and he assures me that mine was manufactured in April of 42.
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 09:20:29 AM »
At least you've got a reliable answer...

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
It is my understanding:

The 30-30 cartridge was the first commerical loading of smokeless powder.
Winchester marked their guns 30 WCF, or 30 Winchester Center Fire, while Marlin did not want the word, "Winchester" on their firearms.  So they went with the nomenclature, "30-30" meaning 30 caliber and 30 grains of powder.

At some point Winchester gave up and began using the "30-30" markings.  I can't remember when this occurred but I think it was when they restarted production after WWII.  More about that.

They were directed to cease production of sporting firearms during WWII in support of the war effort.  However, ranchers, prison guards, railroad guards, etc needed guns so some model 94's were built during the war.  But not officially.  That is why there is a lost block of serial numbers.  The ones made during the war had a flat barrel band rather than a rounded band.

So, the date can be narrowed down before even looking at the serial number.

According to your serial number yours is a later model gun but if it is marked 30 WCF that puts it in the time frame you are quoting.  Are you sure you didn't put too many X's in the the number?

However, after looking at the photos and assessing the woodwork, blueing, and finish as well as wear, it was really taken care of or it is a later model.  Hmmmmmmm?

So without a close look at it is hard to really say.