Author Topic: Barrel materials and other questions?  (Read 949 times)

Offline DarbinCo

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel materials and other questions?
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
I have done lots of reading here, been back 25 to 30 pages and its been great but I have a couple questions.

1. Barrel materials,
Whats the most common used material for barrels, I have seen them turned from Brass which looks awesome but what are some other commonly used steels (carbon/alloy and grades) for the barrels? Whats your personal choice for barrel material and why?

What about 303/416 stainless?

I would suppose free machining steel is too soft for barrel use?

2. Drawings,
I see several mortars and drawings for them in the sticky threads above, a good few of those links have missing pictures/info etc. I dont see links and drawings for longer barrels like the field howitzers, napoleons, dahlgren etc. available in these pages or are they copy write protected and I have to order them from the links provided?

3. Books
I see the recommended books and was wondering which one of these or any others might have good pictures, explanations, drawings, and generally make a good reference on the many types of field artillery. I need some good reading material as I wait for my lathe to arrive.

Thanks
D     

Offline tombstone270

Re: Barrel materials and other questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
I have been using 1018

tomb

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »
You'll have plenty of expert opinions soon, what kind of lathe do you have on the way?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
1018 is a good choice - along with several other mild steels.

Strength is one feature, but also important to research the abilitiy of the steel to withstand cracking (from hardening from many firings).  I look at the charpy notch test to compare different steels.

I also use a lot of 303 stainless for small cannons/mortars (OD of 1-1/2" and less) because I can get small pieces FREE.  

For golf-ball mortars we've used a bit of 1144 stress proof.  Not a good idea for full-blown cannons though, but for low-pressure (read: golf-balls only) it's ok.

Free machining steels - leaded and high sulpher? are not good - they machine well because the chips crackup easily.  

Tossing out plans and ideas here is a good place for reviewing what you intend.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline DarbinCo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
You'll have plenty of expert opinions soon, what kind of lathe do you have on the way?

Well after much looking and reading I think I am leaning towards ordering a Precision Matthews, I started out wanting the 1127VF because it had power cross feed and was small yet performs like a larger machine. It also has a pretty good rep among owners, people tend to rreally like them....... However..... I know some of these projects I have, like cannons are going to require a larger/more capable machine so the 1236 is most likely going to be the one. I really cant stretch the budget more than that considering I need to tool it up too.

Linky to the PM1236, pretty good price with all the included stuff and delivery!
http://precisionmatthews.com/PM1236Lathe.html

ETA
They wont be in stock for about 3 weeks, hes taking orders right now so I think on monday I'll get my name on the list. 

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »
Good questions. I have also gone thru pages and pages reading and researching. The only thing I've noticed is the veterans always ask what are you looking to do? I understand it varies based on the project. In many cases we do not have a clear idea of what we want to make. Along the same line of thought,  perhaps what is a good first time material to use?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
If you don't have a design in mind, take a look at the former cwartillery.org which now resides at Robinson's Battery.  Look at the whole thing.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
1018 is a suitable steel
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline DarbinCo

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
If you don't have a design in mind, take a look at the former cwartillery.org which now resides at Robinson's Battery.  Look at the whole thing.

Thats a good site, breezed over it and will read it over tomorrow when I get the time.

I have plenty of ideas for what I want to turn, just cant find the prints.

Cat Whisperer
Thanks for the info, I can now check a few of those questions off the list!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
Tell us what you ae interested in, we might be able to find you prints!

Offline DarbinCo

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
Double D
I have found several mortar drawings what eludes me is the ones I mentioned above in my OP. I probably need to buy the prints anyways for the carriage plans. What really sticks in my craw is one of the places charges X amount for the prints then it costs 5 bucks for this, 5 more for that and an additional 10 for shipping, plus 5 more for living in the mountain time zone? They also appear to not have a decent break on price or shipping for multiple sets. Talk about getting nickel and dimed to death. If they want 50 bucks a set for the things..... just come on out and say it.

I am still trying to figure out what difference it makes as to what time zone I live in........... They ever hear about USPS flat rate envelopes and boxes? They could put every plan they have in a 14.95 flat rate box and send it anywhere in the country.

Rant over................ maybe..

Couple more questions.
Whats with the can of Goex in everyones pictures?

and

Lets say the stuff could be hard to find locally for me as its has been in the past. I have been using Pyrodex in my other cannon for years. Is this practice frowned upon because its not a "purist" application? LOL! 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:03:45 AM »
Double D
Couple more questions.

It's TRADITION.

It is there for scale.  So we have an idea of how big the cannon or mortar is.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline DarbinCo

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:22:26 AM »
Double D
Couple more questions.

It's TRADITION.

It is there for scale.  So we have an idea of how big the cannon or mortar is.

I kinda thought so,

Thanks

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 06:52:11 AM »
Double D
I have found several mortar drawings what eludes me is the ones I mentioned above in my OP. I probably need to buy the prints anyways for the carriage plans. What really sticks in my craw is one of the places charges X amount for the prints then it costs 5 bucks for this, 5 more for that and an additional 10 for shipping, plus 5 more for living in the mountain time zone? They also appear to not have a decent break on price or shipping for multiple sets. Talk about getting nickel and dimed to death. If they want 50 bucks a set for the things..... just come on out and say it.

I am still trying to figure out what difference it makes as to what time zone I live in........... They ever hear about USPS flat rate envelopes and boxes? They could put every plan they have in a 14.95 flat rate box and send it anywhere in the country.

Rant over................ maybe..

Actually that sounds like AOP.  The are a home hobby business, not a commercial operation.  I have never seen a flat rate envelope big enough to hold a set of their plans.  The value of the plans they provide far exceed the price.  I would reserve criticism until you have seen a set.

No. 4 Civil War 10 Inch Sea-Coast Mortar, Model 1844 is $12 plus$7 base postage plus $5 to pacific time zone. $24 dollars you willnot regret spending.

Order a set and get back to us and tell us how you feel then.

Couple more questions.

Some tiome back Balster Bob, one of Senior Members here got a bit frustrated with everyone and said put something the picture show how big the cannons real are--like a powder can.  Since then to give perspective, that's become the tradition.

and

Lets say the stuff could be hard to find locally for me as its has been in the past. I have been using Pyrodex in my other cannon for years. Is this practice frowned upon because its not a "purist" application? LOL! 

Not as hard as you think.  Several of the powder distributors will ship minimum 5 lbs direct to your house. Look at the Cannon  list in the sticky's and go down to the Powder suppliers.  Click on their links and when it opens, look for the distributor link and click on that.  You may be surprised how close a distributor is to you.

I have never been able to make a cannon with proper windage shoot Pyrodex....the ball just drops out on the ground in front of the cannon.

What caliber are you shooting and are you using a pathed ball.  Pyrodex whether it is in cartridges, or muzzle loader needs resistant to work properly and that includes muzzle loading cannons.  

Offline DarbinCo

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »
Actually that sounds like AOP.  The are a home hobby business, not a commercial operation.  I have never seen a flat rate envelope big enough to hold a set of their plans.  The value of the plans they provide far exceed the price.  I would reserve criticism until you have seen a set.

No. 4 Civil War 10 Inch Sea-Coast Mortar, Model 1844 is $12 plus$7 base postage plus $5 to pacific time zone. $24 dollars you willnot regret spending.

Order a set and get back to us and tell us how you feel then.

Double D
I have no issue with the expected content of the prints, I would guess they would be first class to be listed as a sponsor or advertiser here. My issue is the pricing, they could cut out all the little "extras" and add them to the base price. It would do two things, make people feel they wernt getting pinched for those extras and make the whole pricing much simpler to understand.

Once again, no issues here with the content or even the price, just how its presented.

What caliber are you shooting and are you using a pathed ball.  Pyrodex whether it is in cartridges, or muzzle loader needs resistant to work properly and that includes muzzle loading cannons. 

My shooter cannon was the large one I posted about, 1" bore. I have only fired one solid projectile thru it when I had just finished it... 20 some years ago now. I use it as a noise maker for the 4th of July and New Years Eve, I can get the neighbors looking out their windows with a single paper wad. It works well for that! I'll be looking to shoot the new ones I make more than this old one I have. Is there a preference towards the cannon grade of Goex over the others? 

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
Fg is OK in bores of 1" and smaller.  It's over 1" bore that Cannon grade starts being the preferred granulation.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »

Double D
I have no issue with the expected content of the prints, I would guess they would be first class to be listed as a sponsor or advertiser here. My issue is the pricing, they could cut out all the little "extras" and add them to the base price. It would do two things, make people feel they wernt getting pinched for those extras and make the whole pricing much simpler to understand.

AOP ios not a sponsor or advertiser.  They are just listed in the link list.

And they aren't charging  for little extra's.  They are charging  postage to send items to you.  Postal rates are higher from their location in MI to postal address in the Mountian region, and higher to the Pacific zone. They are giving you a break on postage for a second item.

These folks are not a big sophisticated business. Notice they don't accept credit cards. This is a true mom and pop garage operation  Up to about a year ago, their internet connection was WEB-TV.  It's a husband and wife operation making copies from a microfiche of the original drawings.  Quite frankly when I saw their plan set the first time I wondered how they could afford to put these together so cheaply.   

I suggest you give Don and Jan a call ask the total for the plans you are interested in. They are nice people, and when you get the plans I am sure you will be more than satisfied.