Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest 3.5-9x44 Rapid Z 600  (Read 772 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Zeiss Conquest 3.5-9x44 Rapid Z 600
« on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »

Just got my new Zeiss delivered this morning,and I couldn't be happier right with how this scope looks to me. Amazon came through in a very big way for me after they goofed up my original order with them.They were supposed to ship my 3-9x40MC R-Z 600 to me and couldn't since they didn't replace their stock on it and sold me one when they showed 5 in stock to sell..This was after verifying they did indeed have 5 of my scope..They priced it so low..none of the other dealers could touch it and even the people at Zeiss that I spoke with were amazed at the price and said to buy it while I could..I was basically getting the Rapid Z 600 reticle for $10 with the $399 sale price...so after 3 hours on the phone with them.. the upper management  upgraded me to this one to satisfy their commitment to me...a real savings of $347 to me since I paid $10 less than my original order and next day shipping..That my friends is great customer service... ;D

Let me tell you about my scope...It is bright..clear..and exceptionally sharp edge to edge. To my tired old eyes it is the best glass I have looked through in a very long time. The amazing things to me is the clarity and large field of view this scope has and that the eye relief doesn't change 1 bit when moving through the power range.The best way I can describe the clarity is I am now looking through a High Definition scope as opposed to a Standard Definition scope..just as there are different types of Televisions we look at each day.It is very much like looking at my 55" 1080P Samsung plasma with a HD Blue Ray movie playing..them going and watching a non HD program on my 27" Sony CRT...There is that much difference in the quality of image and detail this scope provides. Last light is a few hours away..and I will checking it closely to see if what has been said about it's light gathering abilities is correct..I don't think I will be disappointed..Then next month when I get my custom 30-06 back from Wayne York..I will be mounting it and really putting it through it's paces when shooting..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Re: Zeiss Conquest 3.5-9x44 Rapid Z 600
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »

I got to do a direct comparison with the same offering of Leupold's tonight..along with my trusty old Nikon ProStaff 3x9..The Leupold is a very good scope..It had the B&C reticle in it,which sits atop my neighbors Browning A-Bolt 270 WSM..

Taking all 3 scopes outside and waiting for the sun to set showed all 3 in legal shooting light to be very easy to look through..The interesting thing was when the sun beginning to set.The Leupold did exceptionally well..just as the Zeiss during the fading light..My trusty Nikon didn't fair so well in my simple evaluation..As soon as the light dwindled..I could no longer distinguish any limbs beyond 100 yards.The were present..but no definition to them.With both the Leupold..and the Zeiss..I could make out the bark of these well past 150 yards.Also..the center cross hair of the BDC reticle couldn't be seen..even thou the circles could.The Rapid Z reticle and the B&C reticle there was no problem with.Color rendition was superb with the Zeiss..while the Leupold was a little off..and the Nikon coming in dead last.

Once the light had failed..just past legal shooting time BTW..the main difference I noticed was the detail of the Zeiss was way better than the Leupold.The darker it got..the less I was able to really see with it as opposed to the Zeiss.. I was able to pick out various things sitting well back into some heavily overgrown brushy areas on my property much better..and at longer yardages..

Looking at the price difference of these 3 scopes..one would expect to get your moneys worth with the Zeiss and the Leupold..You do..and then some..The Nikon is a budget class scope..and has served me well for a while..While it is certainly outclassed performance wise..it does provide a good bang for the buck when price is the main consideration..

My neighbor informed me he was planning on getting one of the new Red Field scopes for his 308 Handi..and I certainly will be comparing these to that one when he gets it in..If they can do as well as the VX-3..then by all accounts should take the lead for price and value for ones money..especially if they can improve on the reticle and offer something close to the B&C or even the Rapid Z..For those like myself whose eye sight is becoming problematic,being able to use the reticle at very last light to accurately range your target is great..small dots don't really work good for me anymore at these times of the day..

So...am I happy about this scope..absolutely...and even though they cost more..I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one provided I have the funds available to do so..and I plan on getting one of the higher powered ones once I do..To me it doesn't matter that it might cost 3-4 times as much as the rifle it is on..It is being able to actually see the difference at last light that has sold me on them..

Mac

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
Mac...

Thanks for the side by side comparison! 

A test such as yours is about the only way to see how different makes of scopes perform.  On a nice bright day at the range many scopes are adequate, but then most game animals that I hunt seem most active when the light is fading fast with darkness just around the corner.  Thats when scope quality  shines and "you get what you pay for".

Based on your review I see a Zeiss in my future, especially for my deep woods whitetail gun. 

Id like to see more side by side comparisons based on practical use of a hunting scope.

Silvertp

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
dont have experience with your ziess but ive got a pro staff 2x7 and its low light performance is feeble as you found out. I used it last deer season and was so discusted with it that when i got home it went on a 22. My brother in law hunts with a pump rem. with a tasco 3x9 world class  ::)  and we tried the side by side and the tasco picked up light better!!!
blue lives matter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
Great report Mac, congrats and thanks.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Mac...

Thanks for the side by side comparison! 

A test such as yours is about the only way to see how different makes of scopes perform.  On a nice bright day at the range many scopes are adequate, but then most game animals that I hunt seem most active when the light is fading fast with darkness just around the corner.  Thats when scope quality  shines and "you get what you pay for".

Based on your review I see a Zeiss in my future, especially for my deep woods whitetail gun. 

Id like to see more side by side comparisons based on practical use of a hunting scope.

Silvertp

Your Welcome..

I agree..some of these comparisons are only pitting the really expensive scopes against the same..without most of the budget class scopes or vis-versa..I'm not a rich person..and really lucked out when getting this one how I did.That said..you do indeed get what you pay for with these scopes..so putting it up against what many would naturally buy..makes sense to me..I know many wouldn't spend this much for one reason or another..but it's nice to be able to show their worth to those who might be interested..Heck..the way I'm looking at it...with as many of the guys that are hunting on public land now-a-days..we need every advantage we can get..and this scope gives me the capability of staying put and hunting till last light while others are heading back to camp..so I've gained an extra 1/2 hour of legal shooting time..and be able to take advantage of having something pushed my way by those leaving early.. ;)

Mac