Author Topic: 1860 Army Conversion Question  (Read 578 times)

Offline MOGorilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1860 Army Conversion Question
« on: November 21, 2003, 01:52:15 AM »
Is it possible to have an 1860 converted to shoot .44/40?  I have a Henry in 44/40 and would love a wheel gun in the same caliber.  The 60 army/Henry pairing would be the ideal historical combo.   I have heard rumors that Uberti was going to put the Henry out in 44 colt as well, but I think they have gone through some corporate reforming in the last two years, so I haven't seen one and I already have the Henry in 44/40.  Wife would kill me if I brought up buying another one.  Anyway, back to subject, is this too powerful for the army, or are the shells too long?  Anyone know an answer?

"Ya going to pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
1860 Army Conversion Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 04:16:36 AM »
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that I believe there is too much difference in bullet diameter??  That would be an awfully heavy load for a '60 and the cartridges are probably going to long anyway
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Flint

conversion
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 06:39:27 AM »
The cylinder is too small in diameter to accept a circle of six 44-40 in a converted 60 Army, unless the frame were cut to a full cylinder diameter like the 1872 Open Top, without the rebate.  Even then, the cylinder would probably be too short.  Even the Open top is in 44 Russian, Colt or Special, and the 45 is in Schofield, which are all shorter than the 45Colt or 44-40.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Flint

conversions
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 06:48:03 AM »
Just looked at the new Uberti website, (www.ubertireplicas.com) and their new listings show both the R-M conversions and the 1871 Open Top available in 45Colt, but not in 44-40.the Yellowboy or 1873 is available in those calibers.  They list the 1873 Rifle available in 44 Special, which could be matched in an R-M or Open-top revolver as well.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life