Author Topic: Question for Graybeard  (Read 813 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Question for Graybeard
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:41:17 AM »
   I have a question for Graybeard. I tried tried to install Ad-Aware. It told me there was numerous items that needed to be deleted. Then it said i had to pay to delete these items.  ???. I run my Antispyware and it told me Ad-Aware caused a lot of problems on my computer. Did i do something wrong?
                   bobg

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Question for Graybeard
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »
I'm not the one to be asking. I am about as dumb as a box of rocks on this technical stuff.

I have Ad-Aware and AVG on my computers. On my primary I use an old 64 bit OS that works with hardly any programs at all so I must use the paid version of both. All the other computers here at our house use the free versions of both.

All computers work fine with what is on them. Technical questions like yours tho must be addressed by folks who have some techincal knowledge like Matt or Tim or some such. I wish I could help but just do not have the technical knowledge to be able to do so.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Question for Graybeard
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »
I use an old 64 bit OS

A little known fact and one that I think is deliberately kept a secret is that there are no known viruses, trojans or root kits for 64 bit OS's.
At one time a 64 bit virus was made just to prove it could be done, but never released. 64 bit OS's are much more secure than 32 bit.
With 64 bit OS's becoming more common, I'm sure that will change, but the info is no more than 6 months old.

Somewhere I read a good analogy for the way people use their comps.
If you want to walk across the street or drive somewhere, you use reasonable thought processes to accomplish this. You look both ways before crossing to make sure it's safe. Stop for red lights and stay out of areas that may be dangrous, etc. Simple common sence things to stay safe.
People get on their comp and act completely different, just the opposite. They armor up their comp with all the anti virus, spyware and any other software they can find to try and stay safe. Then they blindly blast full throttle into the darkest depths of the internet hoping they wont get hit, yet they always do.

Smart computing and common sence is the best security. The only security I use is the Comodo Firewall that will stop anything from running on my comp unless I allow it.
If I have a file I think may be a problem, I use an online AV to scan it like Virus Total - Click Here.