Author Topic: Can someone tell me what rings?  (Read 757 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Can someone tell me what rings?
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »
I am buying a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 scope next week. It has the 30MM tube.
http://www.vortextactical.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x44-pa-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle
I want to mount it as close to the bore of the rifle as I can. These are the rings I want to use. They are the Weaver's 6-Hole Tactical Rings.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/tactical/6_holepicatinnyring.aspx
Can someone tell me what height to buy? Meaning low, medium, high or extra high. I think the high ones will do it but am not sure. I don't want to order them and find out they are not high enough. Any help here would be great. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Can someone tell me what rings?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
I've mounted all the way up to 56mm objectives on 20MOA bases over a Remington varmint barrel  before with low rings (several times with 50mms as well).  You can barely do it with a truck-axle aftermarket tube, but the factory ones will give you a bit more clearance.  I'm currently running a Sightron SIII with 56mm objective on a 20MOA base with IOR low rings.  I have about a short-and-curly hair's worth of clearance between the barrel and ojbective, not enough even to put on BC scope caps.

with a 44mm objective and low rings you should have about .200" clearance roughly.  High rings will make it look pretty dumb IMO.

I like keeping it low as well.  Here are a couple of pics to help you get an idea:

56mm objective in IOR low rings on a 20MOA base over a Remmy varmint barrel

50mm objective in IOR low rings on a 0MOA base over a Remmy varmint barrel

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »
I will be putting this scope on a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 22-250. It also has the factory heavy barrel. So you think I can get by using low rings then huh? What brand of rings are you using? I ask this because I wonder if low rings in one brand is a different height than another brand. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:05 PM »
I will be putting this scope on a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 22-250. It also has the factory heavy barrel. So you think I can get by using low rings then huh? What brand of rings are you using? I ask this because I wonder if low rings in one brand is a different height than another brand. Thanks Dale

Brand of rings is in my above post...several times.

Also, look at manufacturers specs if you want to figure out how close different brands are from each other.  I'd probably venture to say that with tactical rings you are going to be pretty close, regardless of manufacturer.

You'd be safe with low Burris XTR rings as well, bit cheaper than what I'm running.

High rings, (especially with the factory stock) will require either chin-weld for your stock weld, or a very healthy cheekpiece of some sorts.

Hope this helps.