Author Topic: prvi partizan bullets?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
prvi partizan bullets?
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has used partizan (PRVI) psp bullets on any game (deer ,dogs, ect) They seem to group ok just have not used any for hunting worried about no expantion! Your Thoughts?Thanks Dale

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: prvi partizan bullets?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »
Have only shot 1 deer with them.  150gr softpt in 30-06 at about 60-80 yds.  She kind of lift up her front legs then ran into the woods. After about 30-45 minutes I went down to the spot where she had been and there was blood everywhere.  About 30 min after that I went into the woods after her.  She had gone about 20 yard in and died.  Hit her behind the shoulder and there was a good size exit hole, not huge but still considerably bigger than entrance.

jlgwiz

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:21:31 AM »
That is the typical reaction of a deer that is shot just behind the front shoulder through the heart lung area with most any firearm. They usually go 20 to 50 yards before piling up. 

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »
I have shot several wild hogs with 9.3mm 286 gr. Prvi Partizan bullets.  Each hog dropped dead in its tracks.  They are as accurate as any other 9.3mm bullet I have tried and appear to be slightly tougher than Speer's 270 gr. bullet.  I think the 9.3mm Prvi Partizan bullets are designed for deep penetration in heavy game.  Shoot some 30 cal ones into a stack of wet newsprint and compare penetration and expansion.  They should work well on deer.  They are good bullets at a great price.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »
Well I havent had a chance to use their PSP rounds but I did pick up a 500 count of their 168gr HPBT bullets , Figured they would be fun and rather inexpensize versus some of the the other 168gr HPBT options out there, Great to my surprise after some load devolopment with the PRVIs , Nosler 168 HPBTs , 168 A-Maxs and the 168 SMKs I have have great result from the PRVIs .7s with varget in fed neck sized brass with a wolf primer at my chambers OAL.
 Got practicly a simular sized group with the SMKs  ( different case, primer and powder though )

Decided I would experiment with the PRVI load that did so well for my next outing with more load development loads in tow , this time I only changed the primer from the wolf to the CCI BR2 LRP and the group shrank to .4s .

I still havent got the Norler , Amax 168 or SMKs to get to that group size yet ... But I guess what I'm getting at here is dont underestimate the PRVIs .

I WILL be buying another 500 cnt as soon as possible  ;D   My bulk by " break in , play with the 300 yard steel, plinking .30 cals " turned out to be my best accuracy out of this 308 Weatherby.

After this experience I dont think I would turn down a chance to pick up their PSP to try out. Oh before I forget , I have tried their 55 gr FMJBT cannilure bullets and have had pretty good results too.

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:34:43 AM »
I got a 6.5x55 for my daughter years ago, and handloading for it has been simply a nightmare.  Just about made a fence post out of it before hitting a decent load. That said, year before last I decided since she was now living several hours away and had the chance to use it on a weekly basis for feral hogs, that I would get her a supply of the 139gr  factory PRVI ammo to use on them, instead of the "good" loads we had for deer hunting.

To my total suprise, the first three I put through the rifle went into a .4" group at 100yds from the bags. These were followed by my 8yr old grandson putting three more into the same group only opening it up to .75". Since then, he used it on his first deer, a decent sized doe at about 60yds with excellent results. I was pretty impressed with the internal damage from the bullet. He hit her right through the onside shoulder and exited just back of the offside. The onside was pretty well blasted, as were the internals between, and the offside had a nice 3/4 - 1" exit hole.

I realize this was only one result from this load, and I different caliber, but from the reports I have seen on the loaded ammo they are all pretty much identical. I would not be afraid to use their bullets for general hunting handloads on deer or similar critters at all.

Good luck with yours, hope this helps.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
where are ya'll finding these prvi bullets? i bought some prvi ammo for the 303 brit. and it was the most accurate commercial i have fired through it.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Big Tex,

I found the .224 FMJBT cannilure bullets at a gun show and the 168gr .308s at Wideners

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
where are ya'll finding these prvi bullets? i bought some prvi ammo for the 303 brit. and it was the most accurate commercial i have fired through it.

While the ones I used were factory loaded rounds, Graf and Son's has the components listed, cases and bullets, in several calibers.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »
Powder Valley, Inc up by KC has 7mm-08 for $15/box   and others
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:21:17 AM »
deleted
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
I picked up 200 factory Privi 6.5x55 mainly for the brass to reload. I have been amazed at the accuracy and terminal effects of the 139 gr soft point on game. I have taken 50+- hogs with it to 300 yds and most were 1 shot kills. (NOTE: this was control shooting on the land I work on) I am shooting a CZ 550 and a M96 sporter. Both perform extremely well with the factory Privi ammo. I have yet to load the Privi brass.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »
I shoot the 139 gr. Privis (Varget powder) in my 6.5x55 and took two antelope with it last year.  Both were one shot kills with complete pass throughs behind the foreleg.   The fartherest was at least 300 yds and ran about 50 yds. The other was about 100 yds and a bang flop.   The McGowen barreled Savage will shoot half MOA if I do my part.