Author Topic: Percussion pistol/revolver  (Read 857 times)

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
Percussion pistol/revolver
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:49 AM »
Now don't anyone get PC upset with me for this question.
Has anyone ever tired/used a sabot and conical in a pistol/revolver?
For example a .38 conical and sabot in a .45?
And or etc up the line.
Why? for various reasons or no reason other just to see if it could be done and the results.
Any  problems with this format?

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Percussion pistol/revolver
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
I have not tried sabots in BP revolvers.

The only experience I have had trying to push plastic with BP was a fiasco.

Back in the 70s, I tried using plastic wad columns in a muzzle loading shotgun with bad results.

The plastic fouling in the barrel was unbelievable. I mean two foot long strings of the stuff, not to mention the work it took to scrub it from the surface of the bores.

Inspection of recovered columns indicated extensive melting of the over powder seal, which led me to conclude the Black stuff burns at a higher temperature than smokeless powder.

Maybe plastic used today is better than 40 years ago, and I only tried one brand at that time, but I have never tried plastic in any BP gun since that experience ?
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
Sorry,  just the round balls. ;)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:49:55 AM »
I once had a pistol with a .357 barrel and it shot really tight groups with a .357" hollow based wadcutter bullet. The best groups I ever fired with an iron sighted revolver were with short, light wadcutters in a '58 Remington. I've never tried sabots but in a singleshot pistol with a fast twist barrel I don't see why they wouldn't work as well as in a rifle. I think sabots would be a problem in a revolver. The length would use up a lot of powder capacity, I suspect they might slip forward from recoil and I don't know what would happen to a sabot jumping the barrel/cylinder gap and into the forcing cone.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Ironwood

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
Along with the 1860 Colt, my wife gave me for my birthday, there was a Double Cavity Lee Bullet mold.  Number 450-200-1R, .450" 200 grain bullet.  As soon as I get my little production pot to stop leaking I'll cast a few.
GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline doc623

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:35:05 AM »
Ironwood - I'm lost as to your reply and the question of the sabots.

Offline Ironwood

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »
 Doc, I saw the word "Conical"... The 200 grain bullet would be a conical.  I read your post again and see that you must have meant a bullet inside a sabot.  Sorry about that.
GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:18 AM »
This is jist a SWAG, but I don think sabots would werk very gud in a revolver. The jump from the chamber to the barrel would likely cause some form of "upset" of the sabot/bullet combination, letting yer bullet go down bore without the sabot...rattle, rattle, rattle......
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline doc623

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:20 AM »
By ther eplies I take it that no one has tried a sabot in pistol.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:54:47 AM »
I suspect you would get more replies on the "modern inline forum" since those are the people who shoot sabots.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
They would work in a single shot pistol but not in a revolver.  Personally I have no use for them.  I to have tried plastic shot cups in a bp shotgun and have ended up with plastic coated bores.  I found an easy way to clean them though.  I just put the barrels in a bath tub of hot water and let it sit for a half hour.  I then stuck my finger in the muzzle and pulled a nice sleave of plastic out of each bore.  I then dried the bore and oiled the barrels and I was done cleaning.