Author Topic: Before/After bore measurements from fire lapping?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Before/After bore measurements from fire lapping?
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
What difference in the normal bore areas, as oppossed to the constrictions, is to be expected from fire lapping most factory guns?

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Before/After bore measurements from fire lapping?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »
  I'm presuming that you are asking how much the largest part of the bore will open up with lapping, so will answer accordingly.  If my answer isn't what you wanted, or my explaination isn't clear, fire another question till I get it right.

When properly done, lapping removes the constrictions completely with very little change to the major or largest diameter in the barrel.  There will be some enlargement of the throat area if a lot of lapping is required to get the constrictions out, but the resulting taper puts a clamp on the bullets which tightens gradually till it reaches the major bore diameter.  In other words, exactly what is required for top accuracy.

The amount of change in the major bore diameter will vary dramatically depending on precision of the barrel when lapping starts.  If the bore is cloudy, which is rust standing up off the bore, the rust will wipe out with only a few lap shots and I've seen the slugged diameter increase .003 in 10 lap rounds.  But the change is mandatory for cast to work as it is only wiping rust off.    If the bore has a rough finish, lapping will likewise  open the diameter as read by a slug, but again, lapping only takes the bore to what is demanded to make it shoot, by removing the roughness which files lead bullet bearing away, ruining accuracy.  Unlike lead bullets, jacketed can slide along over a rough surface and shoot accurately, but the bore will foul badly, and lapping will minimize the fouling, while improving accuracy with jacketed also. 
Veral Smith

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
You have answered my question.  With a new rifle it is a bit unnerving to run lapping compound down the barrel to me.  I was worried that I might run a 311 barrel to 315 or something in a new barrel.  My questions pertain to a new Ruger and many say the new hammer forged barrels are reasonable from the factory for fit and finish. 

Would you agree from reports of lapping success for the Rugers?

I am studying hard waiting for my PAL, our personal weapon ownership license.  What a pain! 

As soon as I can shoot legally I am going to order up some slugging and lapping supplies.

Until then what is the charge for shipping your book to Canada?

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
    Alll the new ruger hammer forged barrel slugs and push through slugs that I've measured indicate that their quality is equal to the other best, which is Remington in the US.  So lapping required will be minimal, but some will be benificial.

A very important thing to know about barrel lapping.  Lapping with jacketed bullets or using many of the multi grit methods being recommended WILL rip the throat out something horrible.  The LBT compound was formulated specifically for lapping barrels and doing it with cast bullets.  It gives the least adverse wear of any lap method I know of with maximum benifit.

Contact me at our new email address,  LBTisAccuracy@localnet.com   and I'll quote a current postage cost to Canada or any country.  I don't want to print current prices on the forum as they continually go up, never down.
Veral Smith