Author Topic: el cheapo media sifter  (Read 1072 times)

Offline abigdiesel

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
el cheapo media sifter
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:13 AM »
Went to the dollar store today and found these: a 4 quart collander for $1 and a 7 quart bowl for $1.50.  No more fishing brass out of my tumbler because I didnt have a way to sift it.  Sure beats the $16 ones at midway.
"The American Revolution was a beginning, not a consummation."  ~Woodrow Wilson

NRA and VHA member

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: el cheapo media sifter
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:38:43 AM »
I used collanders and bowls with hole drilled in the bottom for years.  Midway had the sifters on sale a couple of years back, and since I was already placing an order, I threw one in.  In my opinion the sifters are worth the extra money because they don't clog like collanders.  But like I said I used a collander for years, and probably wouldn't have purchased the sifter if it hadn't been on sale.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »
I upgraded too,went from plastic to steel 79 cents
found elsewhere

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »
Ain't we reloaders a cheap bunch I hit a yard sale saw a plastic gold pan for a $1 bought it and spend an hour drilling holes in it and use the top from a tupper ware cake cover to shake into. :) works for me and does not take up much room.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
Cheaper is more fun.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
I've been using the same metal collander for over 30 years now , tried one of those fancy bucket mounted sifters , damn thing just tossed meida all over the place .  >:(

The kids ended up using it in the sandbox till it broke !

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
Eons ago I made a sifter out of some recycled 1/4" wire mesh / hardware cloth. My "tumbler" was made from old copier parts and uses a 3# coffee can for the tub.
When was the last time you saw coffee in 3# cans?
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
Tonight was the last time I'll drop media on the floor.  Tomorrow I'm going to the dollar store to buy a plastic colander and a 7 quart pan.  I've got 3 kids in  college and need to scrimp everywhere I can - this is a BRILLIANT solution!   Thanks for sharing!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »
I am with necchi on this one but I got mine for free as I stole it out of a drawer in the kitchen ;D

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:41 AM »
I've been using the same type as abigdiesel for years.
I like the idea of the sifting spoon that necchi has.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:03:28 AM »
   My first tumbler was an old ice cream freezer. Took the paddle out of it and turned the thing on it's side and let it run. My sifter was a wooded box i made with a 1/4 inch mesh cover. Drilled a hole in the box bottom and stuffed a cork in it. When i was done pull the cork and dump the media back in my el cheapo tumbler. Now that was cheap. ;D
   Paid 3 bucks for the freezer at a yard sale. Made the box at work with their material.
                           bobg

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:14:37 AM »
ive got a couple media seperators so dont use it anymore but whats good is one of the shopping baskets that grocery stores have and a rectangular cake pan
blue lives matter

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 07:22:13 AM »
Cheap?? I resemble that remark! I prefer "experimenting with optional equipment that is readily available from sources other than dedicated reloading suppliers".  I used to wrap my own fishing rods and found quite an education searching for parts. I could get a "Rod Butt" of white rubber from a specialty Rod Building Supply Shop for about $4.00. I could get a "Crutch tip" from a medical supply for about $2.50. Or I could get a "Rubber Cap; Chair Tip" from a hardware store for about $.29. ALL THE SAME PART! Sometimes it pays to look around and it's really fun too! ;D

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
Us reloaders are a cheap bunch but even cheaper is someone who reloads and casts his own bullets.

Did I mention I cast my own bullets ;D

I have to agree with others it's not that I can't afford it but it's a game.

I built my first tumbler using a sm motor that had a sm pulley on it and a plastic 1 gallon pickel jug, screwed two flaps out of wood inside used all thread rod thru center with a pulley on it and an old fan belt to turn it worked purt good for years till someone bought me a Lyman 500 for B-day.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »
Back when I was getting into reloading , Me and the missus returning from a out of state hunt stopped at a bass pro shop on the way home and they had some plastic mesh "bags" for lack of a better word.. Those combined with a 4 gallon bucket serve me.

I made a trip to a shop that not only deals with reloading supplies exclusively but also will reload for customers in small or large bulk orders , While taking a tour around the large reloading area of the place ( more blue progressives then I have ever seen in one place) I was shown their tumbler closet , Of the many different brands I noticed they had made good use for big bulk tumbling by using one of those cheap china made electric mortor / cement mixers to clean them up ... Boy dont I just wish for the day that I have so much brass to polish that I have the need to invest in one of those mixers to tumble  ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
Couple things to keep in mind. First is now a days i wouldnt be without a media seperator. They do work great. If you buy one though buck up and get the large one dillon sells. The frankfort arsonal and rcbs models are basicaly plastic junk. Anyone who live near me can have one of them as i have both and they collect dust. Dont ask to ship though as im not about to bother. If you have to go cheap and i guess even the cheap ones work better then nothing go with the frankfort arsonal as imo its a better unit then the rcbs.
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 05:19:07 AM »
I've been telling people to do this for years. I probably average 1000 to 2500 rounds a week thru my tumbler, some I load, some I sell. Went and bought my tub and collander probably 10-12 years ago. Got tired of sifting brass out with a scoop. I've got around 80rds of .270 brass, and 250-300rds of .45acp in the tumbler right now. Couple hours, shake them out, and put 4-5 hundred .40cal brass in.gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
I found one of those pans that has the steamer "basket" inside for about a $1 at a thrift store.  Pan went to the dog or somewhere.  That "basket" (really a pan will holes everywhere) fits right on top of the tumbler.  Media and brass gets dumped into my bucket.  The basket sits above the tumbler.  I turn tumbler on and pour media/brass into the "basket".  Vibration trickles the media back into the tumbler and brass stays in the basket.  Fast, easy, cheap, but noisier than heck.........wear ear plugs.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline shakey

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
I use the basket from a deep fryer. Had it so long I don't even remember where it came from ...probably a yard sale.

No better or worse than what others are using ...just what I've got.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 04:28:07 AM »
I've used a basket for fine materials from a washing machine, and a huge bowl for years. I got them both at a tag sale for less then a quarter.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »
Too bad I noticed this info after I bought the media separator from Midsouth.  I am not too upset about the $20 for it (it is a fair price for the item), I would rather of had something that did the job and not be so dam LARGE.  This thing is the biggest reloading item I own and I have to store it somewhere.  Compared to some of the other dust collectors I buy for bullet making, this one is going to keep the most floor clean over the years.   :P