Author Topic: 20 ga rifled barrel problems  (Read 2147 times)

Offline sdelam

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 20 ga rifled barrel problems
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 03:30:05 AM »
Nope, the recoil isnt bad at all. The Rems were very soft. I plan on keeping some of those on hand for my son.
Some people are a lot like slinkys, not really good for anything but you can't help be smile when they tumble down the stairs.

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Call Emma Young , she will e-mail you a price list of the sabots and gas seals and ask for some card wads also. You get a free loading manual for this also with sabot order.
Need to get her cost for shipping what you want also.

Her phone# 609-261-7373 call after 5:00 eastern.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

I have a gun just like yours with the lite barrel  and black plastic stock and forearm and, shoot my own reloaded sabot pistol bullets.
The last group I shot with 28rns Blue Dot and a 300grn XTP went into 3/4 inch at 100 yds my friends heavy barrel will keep these reloads into 1.5inches at 100yds. They are probably doing around 1500fps , but I don't need a elephant gun to kill a white tail deer either.

Swiftman, that's great info except for one bit of info I need, what are you using for sabots to hold the 300 grain XTP's? Or do they only sell one Sabot for 20 gauge?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »
Question answered. I just got off the phone with Emma, a great friendly person. She is
very knowledgable and I will be ordering some stuff from her. Thanks for the info and the contact....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline retrosub

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
I have a 12 ga tracker and it'll put two Winchester 2000 fps sabots right next to each other, and the third shot opens up a bit. I looked down the bore on that 3rd shot and there was smoky plastic, big streaks, and residue in the barrel. I think the 2000 fps slugs foul the barrel a lot more. This might also explain the poor groups you got with the Remingtons, since you shot the Remingtons after the Winchesters on the 50 yard target, the plastic fouling might have messed everything up.

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 06:26:17 AM »
One additional comment. Do not touch the barrel of this gun in any way when firing it off sand bags, mine will not shoot groups at all if I let my finger touch the barrel, I just lay my finger on the top edge of the fore grip for some control.
This group was fired at 100yds of sand bags with my 20ga lite barreled H&R using my reloads of 300grn Hornady XTPs. The 250grn XTPs shoot well also. I may never shoot a group like this again but do get the first 2 shot touching or close to it most times.
 I shoot 28.5 grns of Blue Dot but did not chronograph this load yet, but I did chronograph a 27grn load on my friends heavy barrel using 27grn of Blue Dot with same bullet and they were going 1280fps. This equals a 44mag  with same bullet and 44 mag kill deer just fine so far.  Have not got to us mine on deer yet just bought my 20ga about 6 weeks ago for $140 of a friend of mine.

Offline sdelam

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I havent made it back to the range yet, maybe this week. I plan on trying to clean the barrel with a bronze brush between shots to see if that helps any.

Also thanks for the info on the sabots, i do want to add that project to my list as well.
Some people are a lot like slinkys, not really good for anything but you can't help be smile when they tumble down the stairs.

Offline cleggy

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Another thing that you may want to consider is your grip on the gun. Since slugs travel relatively slow; and thus take longer to travel down your barrel than a rifle; the slug may still be in your barrel when the gun starts to recoil up and away. I've found that if I grip the forearm "hard and heavy" it shoots MUCH tighter groups. Pull down hard on the forearm and heavy into your shoulder pocket. Repeatability in bench shooting will pay off in the woods when it really counts.