Author Topic: Sticker Shock  (Read 812 times)

Offline barefiel76

• Trade Count: (0)
Sticker Shock
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
So I have just about collected all my measurements for my Spring project. I called a Michigan metal distributor to get a price.
4" x 24" steel is $178, same measurement in brass $780!  So turns out that brass it only a little less than gold. I am leaning towards steel.

They said they do have so remnant pieces I can look through for a discount. I said sure it will make a good second project. Why are all the fun hobbies expensive?

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Sticker Shock
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
You came to the wrong conclusion...should have chosen gold! ;D

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
Speedy Metals online has 1018 4x24 @117.00.  What are you looking for?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
And speedy metal may be in you area---Detroit  http://www.speedymetals.com/t-contact.aspx

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »
You really want to stay away from Brass anyway brass get brittle and bad things can happen

for cannon you want bronze.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:23:06 AM »
yes , if you look at the characteristics for tin and zink you will understand why
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
Would you still be thinking about brass if it were 1/2 the price? I have a pc.

Bob

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
Metel supermarket (livonia ) has it for $570.

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
I asked them about brass because I was considering a display piece for about 2 minutes. But then I realized that it's the noise that gets me smiling. Also, as we've seen from other post, it might be a "great" for the first owner, but eventually someone else will be using it.

I am going to shop around for the steel. I appreciate the ideas.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
Keep  your eyes open -
I found a 5" diameter x 18" CRS piece at a yard sale for $5 or 10.
The fellow used it to roll down vynal tile floors.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:18:01 AM »
When I came back from S.E.A. in the 60’s, I bought my first new car. A 1967 VW bug w/ sunroof, deluxe am/fm radio and a “chrome package”. It cost $1700.00. It weighed 1716 pounds. Call it a buck a pound. I got a tank of gas in Amarillo, Texas for 18.9 cents/gallon. Think I remember 10 gal tank and about 300 miles/tank

The next year GM was paying new hires 2.82/ hr. I was going to school on the GI Bill, but many of the guys I grew up with were working there. They were buying new houses, new cars and some were buying boats. It was the good life.

I started turning brass in the seventies and paid just under $1.00/pound buying 5,000 pounds at a time. I bought a new 75 Monte Carlo for 4300.00 just a tad over $1.00/pound.

Fast forward 35 years……I am now spending closer to $5.00/ pound and more than 5 by the time I pay shipping and extra for not reaching the 5000 pound price bracket, usually.

Some of the first barrels I turned could be taken to the scrap yard today and sold for what I charged. A new car costs about…… $5.00/ pound. GM (or obama) is paying more than 5X the 2.82/hour.

Lets talk about www.brooks-usa.com Brass Barrels, aka “the Golden Gun”, a 2 time winner on the GBO Calendar. The focus on the thread titled “new SAMCC barrel” after our Global Moderator who loves his brass barrel. They are well respected by many GBO members going back to the BYCF thread http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,63873.0.html going on 30,000 views, which is, WAY notable, on the whole GBO Forum, probably # 1. Lots of discussion about our barrels being way safe, overbuilt. No “bad” things happen with our barrels. Accidents are caused by operator error or faulty design, not by any flaw in the chemical composition of FC360. All of us on GBO take care to watch for design errors or any practice that could create a safety hazard.

FC360 is one of the most consistent of all alloys, copper or otherwise. Certs are available on all that I buy, showing exactly what and how much of what is in it. Few casting operations offer that and certainly during the Civil War, there were even fewer controls or constraints.

One can buy a lot of barrel from www.brooks-USA.com  for about the cost of a steak dinner for you and the wife at a good steakhouse with good service and all. My barrel will last generations and generations, saving hundreds of dollars every holiday for fireworks that won’t even last as long as the steak dinner did are not legal in many places where black powder is welcome. Just think of the difference in fire hazard. Black powder doesn’t cost much and fuse is even less www.cannonfuse.com.

Sooo…when one of these “Brooks Golden Guns” is looked at two or three generations down the road, it really is Gold!