Author Topic: NO BBQ GUN  (Read 1960 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
NO BBQ GUN
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
Well, I amgoing to pick up my BBQ gun from the person who was to engrave it.
Nothing has been done to the gun.
OH WELL---and the beat goes on.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

Re: NO BBQ GUN
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:13 AM »
It might be a blessing William!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »
It might be a blessing William!
Savage

This is true.  He may have turned out to be a butcher and wrecked your gun.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
BBQ gun , ya'll lone star boys come up with some good ones for sure .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:09:34 AM »
I choose to look at it as a blessing---it is what it is and I am going to let the boy that did the blueing on the K-22 do his super blueing on this one.
James Willis
Willis Arms----Louisiana.
This gun was customized by Vandenberg Custom--with a new Caspian slide with no roll marks---so it aught to show up real pretty.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline commando74

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:10 AM »
Any body that showed up at one of my barbecues with a 1911 that had a beautiful blue and nice grips would be most welcome, especially if he let me shoot it once.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
And if she had on nice boots and red hair she could shoot my 1911 !  :D

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
Not one for engraving myself but should a little ever be done, the person wouldn't be one I'd be concerned about after such a short period of time.   Only gonna get it once, make it worth it.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
Sounds like a great BBQ. Hand guns required!   ;D

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
WL, in the interim, would it be appropriate etiquette to bring your church gun instead? I often wonder about such things. My church gun goes better with my boots than my BBQ gun.  ;D
held fast

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
BLKHAWK
You are right one one account. I didn't ask--he volunteered the timeing.
It does not take a long time to do it.
I had heard of this person over the years.
It was his unresponsesness that was the problem----all he had to do was send me a notification of the change in timeing.
His own unwilliness to report to the customer and not meet the self imposed deadlines was the problem.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
...My church gun goes better with my boots than my BBQ gun...

What do you consider a church gun? If you are a chaplain, is it one you take to church?
(I consider my Ruger #1 my church gun, because its so nice when I go shoot it, I wear my church clothes.)
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
Whereas a BBQ gun is flashy, engraved, in a tooled holster maybe decorated with conchos or precious stones ...
a Church gun is subdued, neat and subtly elegant, in a well made but plain holster. Its a sunday go to meeting gun, whereas
the BBQ gun is a Friday night go to the barn dance gun. These are of course different than your working knock about gun.

These are the finer points of the culture of western gentlemen as taught to me by an old cowboy from Texas. I think if argyle
socks can make a comeback, we should bring BBQ guns and church guns back into style.
held fast

Offline Chickasaw Hunter

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I can certainly appreciate a finely engraved pistol, however most of the diners at the BBQ won't see it, because a proper gentelman isn't going to be whipping it out exposing it to all the guest. It will remain tastefully holstered. So a tasteful BBQ gun doesn't need engraving (although it's nice) it does need a fancy set of stocks and a niclely adorned holster. As far as church guns go, it's a sad state of affairs that it is actually something more than for us to make tongue in cheek comments about and a true neccessity these days, but what was said above about it being most discreet is something I'd agree with.
Here's my BBQ gun holster, the fancy grips (ahrends) weren't in yet when I shot the pic. I do have a set of Fuzzy Farants on my 66 2.5in, but no fancy holster for it. Just concealment holsters, so I guess that puts it into the church gun catagory.

Always remember that when seconds count the Police are only minutes away!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
From my limited experince in Texas only a four to five weeks over the last 30 years its after the eating that the gents retire to the range, often a back deck or such,for some fine shooting . Some say south of the border at such BBO's is where IMHSA got its start shooting at critters tied to stakes at unknown distances .

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
From my limited experince in Texas only a four to five weeks over the last 30 years its after the eating that the gents retire to the range, often a back deck or such,for some fine shooting . Some say south of the border at such BBO's is where IMHSA got its start shooting at critters tied to stakes at unknown distances .

I started shooting IHMSA while living in Tombstone, and that's how I heard the story. Some friendly betting over marksmanship skills after a little BBQ. Since it wouldn't do to drag your long gun into a party, the firearms were whatever you had on your hip. It might be too much to imagine that we revive that culture, but I'd rather that than after the BBQ take all the boys and show them my new HD TV or riding lawn mower.  ;D
held fast

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
i was at a wedding once where the all the men were asked to have a handgun on their person....my first question was "what did you do to the bride?" lol

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

I started shooting IHMSA while living in Tombstone, and that's how I heard the story. Some friendly betting over marksmanship skills after a little BBQ. Since it wouldn't do to drag your long gun into a party, the firearms were whatever you had on your hip. It might be too much to imagine that we revive that culture, but I'd rather that than after the BBQ take all the boys and show them my new HD TV or riding lawn mower.  ;D

Well, you're pretty close. The Mexicans used rifles, and that's what came into the US as siluettas metallica / metallic silhouettes (spelling?) back then.

IHMSA is a handgun game that came about some time after the rifle game got started.

The most embarresing day of my life was when I showed up at a match that was set up for the full 500 meter rifle course & used handguns. A 6" 357 Mag just wasn't enough gun!

;)  ;)  ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »
Elgin Gates wrote about shooting at chickens off a back deck in Mexico with a Ruger 22 in SHOOTING STEEL if I remember right. I shot a 500 yard match with a XP-100 in 708 once. Hit 5 targets . One in pratice and 4 in the match. Not bad for open sights really on my first try. BTW our range was 500 yards not meters due to safety concers with layout.