Author Topic: waterproofing gun leather  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
waterproofing gun leather
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:56:08 AM »
I am looking at buying a Bond Arms 410 derringer for a snake gun to take with me boating and fishing.  By boating, I mean in a Kayak.  Lots of water.  I don't do whitewater, it's mostly creek fishing and flat water, but I will get wet and might occasionally find myself unintentionally under water.  For a holster, I am looking at this type http://www.bondarms.com/retail/index.php?action=item&substart=0&id=102 but cannot find a similar synthetic holster.  Is there a product that I can dip that holster in that will penetrate to the core and protect it from repeated soakings?  Surface treatments aren't going to cut the mustard for submersion.

thanks,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline the jigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: waterproofing gun leather
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
There is a product called "SNO-PROOF" that can be found in many farm & ranch supply stores.
I have used it fo over 40yrs on boots, saddles, and gun leather.
For your first application melt it on low temp and dip or brush.
This time of year I would leave the holster in direct sunlight until it is dry.
I would repeat the process in a couple of weeks.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »
That's a nice looking little holster.  I second the Snow-Proof recommendation. I have used it for years with great success on work and hiking boots. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
Were this my holster I would spray it with a silicone treatment and leave well enough alone, matter of fact my holster maker recommends regular shoe polish. The last thing you want is a loose floppy holster that is sodden in oils. You aren't going to be using the holster to turn water and when it gets wet you'll want to know so you'll take the gun out.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
I always rub mink oil into my new holsters and although it will darken the leather alittle, I haven't had trouble with water.  But I am not sure if it would handle being soaked, it might, just never tried.  Good luck.  rawhidekid 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
I don't think Snow proof softens leather like other oils. I recall all the mt climbers used to swear by the stuff when technical climbing boots were leather - and they DID NOT use other oils. The stuff can wear and crack off after a while in my experience.

I have never counted on anything truly making leather waterproof and much prefer nylon or plastic holsters for wet work - but I have no idea where you'd get one for a Bond.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:08:55 AM »
guys get carried away treating leather. Its nessisary with boots to keep your feet dry but i seldom do any thing to holsters anymore. Ive ruined some myself. For the most part over treating them is worse then doing nothing. Holsters are soaked in water to form to a gun and dried in ovens. It hurts nothing. MOst of the time a holster is on your belt or in your pocket and the little moisture its exposed to will not hurt it. Ive just seen to many oil soaked floppy holsters that were made into junk. A holster left alone willl last your lifetime. The only time to treat it is if its starts drying out and getting hard and then just a little beeswax is all thats needed to put some moisture back in it.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:11:41 AM »
This sounds like a job for a specific holster.
I would go to a local shoe shop and ask them if they could sew up a heavy rip-stop nylon holster of my design.
Too your suprise, I will bet they can and will---you may have too supply the materia.
Sounds like a fun project too me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »
experiment.  I was upstairs messing around and I noticed a jug of Thompson's Water Seal.  That got me wondering, so I dunked a scrap of leather and have it up drying now.  I then did an internet search and found this article.  http://www.epinions.com/content_127928143492

Ian

usually...

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
experiment.  I was upstairs messing around and I noticed a jug of Thompson's Water Seal.  That got me wondering, so I dunked a scrap of leather and have it up drying now.  I then did an internet search and found this article.  http://www.epinions.com/content_127928143492

Ian

Here is the catch right here.  "2. Conditions leather. Actually softens the leather whereby, inexpensive leather becomes just like the most expensive. Great for super softening leather gloves." You do not want to soften your leather holsters.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
Yea, I saw that.  I was using a cloth to apply it to something a few weeks ago and it dried really stiff.  We'll see how it turns out.

Ian

usually...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »
Haywire
My thought process would be a little different.
The weapon is more than likely too get wet--the fabric I am thinking of would not absorb water but shed it.
I think that rip stop nylon would be heavy enough to protect the weapon and allow water/licquid to disperse.
Leather will hold moisture which is not a good thing.
A Kydex material might do a good job.
Good conversation.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:37:08 AM »
It might be all conversation at that.  I went to a place that had one of those Bonds in stock and I don't think I can make myself pay $450 for a derringer. $429 + tax.  It's a nice gun, but maybe not that nice.

Ian

usually...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
On this point I am in full agreement.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »
Then again.... I have talked myself into it again.   ::)

Ian

usually...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The mind--don't ya just love it.
Blessings
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
I originally bought my 4 inch Security 6 for kayaking and fishing halibut in Dutch Harbor. Caught 1 halibut that nearly rolled me over.  But the Security 6 is a bit big for handling from a Kayak. One of those derringers might be the ticket.

Remember, bouncing around in a kayak and scrambling with a paddle, it could be very easy to get the barrel pointed in the wrong direction. BE CAREFUL. That was the lesson I learned in my kayak.

I'd put a lanyard on the gun.

Regarding a holster.  I think ripstop nylon is usually way too light weight. Heavy cordura nylon would be the way to go - still without something to stiffen it, it will be floppy. Or, consider using some old neoprene waders and cut to a holster shape and glued and stitched. I'd consider making a belly or chest band of the neoprene on which to mount the gun.

I'd strongly suggest wearing some sort of floatation. I realized I didn't want a couple extra pounds of steel strapped to me - I don't float even without the extra weight.

Maybe make a neoprene holster and attach it to the kayak deck with industrial velcro.

Just some ideas. I too have been intrigued with the Bond guns but have never handled one. Seems like I read somewhere that they can be as heavy as some snub revolvers but with less shots. Maybe a stainless Charter 38 would be an answer and more versatile for other uses.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
Yes, I can definitely see them being as heavy as a 2" snub revolver.  But they're thinner with a more powerful cartridge.  The Thompson's experiment seemed to be a success.  The leather I used was thin and already fairly supple.  I think it came out stiffer than it started. 

Ian

usually...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:45 PM »
I like the Cordura nylon thought.
Anything that will let the moisture thru and not soak it up.
There are folks that kyak fish here on the Gulf Coast but the depth is not an issue--the bottom could be.
When I used to wade fish I took an old military shirt and cut the sleeves off at the shoulders. Used this material too make large chest pockets with velcro closeures---worked great---wouldn't keep the cigs dry, dang it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the most durable waterproofing I have found for leather is Sno Seal which is different than Snow Proof.  Sno Seal is a beeswax based product that I've found to be effective on leather boots even in places like Siberia. I apply it with the help of a hair dryer so that it melts into the leather.  It sure seems to last longer than oil or silcon based products. Perhaps it will work for your application.  It does darken leather.  

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
I've used Sno-Seal on my boots since back in my Army days.  Good product.

btw..  I've talked myself back out of the derringer again... for now... LOL

Ian

usually...

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the most durable waterproofing I have found for leather is Sno Seal which is different than Snow Proof.  Sno Seal is a beeswax based product that I've found to be effective on leather boots even in places like Siberia. I apply it with the help of a hair dryer so that it melts into the leather.  It sure seems to last longer than oil or silcon based products. Perhaps it will work for your application.  It does darken leather.  

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

+1 on the Sno-Seal. I've used it on everything from boots, gun holsters, tool belts, to my cycle leathers. It even makes an excellent stick wax for hockey sticks.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"