Author Topic: 50 Alaskan BC Rifle  (Read 974 times)

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
50 Alaskan BC Rifle
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
I sent my 45 LC BC rifle off to Wayne York to have it reamed out to 454.  When I got it back it was bulging cases pretty badly above the case head.  Returned it to Wayne - he took a close look and noticed that the reamer had not even touched the original chamber near the breach - H&R had cut a pretty badly oversized chamber at that end.  I did not notice it when it was a 45 LC - but I was only shooting moderate loads at most.  Also - he measured the grove diameter of the barrel and it was .450 - not .452!  I think all of this added up to some potentially serious pressure problems with the 454.  Anyway, Wayne, being the great guy that he is, offered to cut a new chamber for free and rebore the barrel to a 50 cal for a reduced price.  We had to go that large to be sure to clean up the chamber.  We decided on 50 Alaskan.  MY GAWD - is this little gun going to have some punch or what.  But, even handloading - it is going to cost me a bit over $1.50 a round.  I think the thrill is worth it though, and if somebody drops off a grizzly here in the Eastern woods - it take him out to 100 yards no problem  ;D ;D.  I found the Hodgdon data.  If anybody knows of any other good load data, I could use the info.  Thanks in advance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 50 Alaskan BC Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Congrats, sounds like fun!!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:03:12 AM »
GOE,

Nice gun!  I  have never shot a 50 Alaskan but I was admiring one at my kid's gun club a few months ago.  It was a drop breech, I believe a Martini. I asked the owner how much it kicked and he said "not as bad as the shorty 45/70 you are shooting".   I think his particular 50 AL was fairly heavy and he was shooting reduced velocity lead slugs.  I would think an unmodified BC carbine in 50 AL with max. load might bite a little with the curved steel buttplate.  Let us know how it does at the range.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »
Sounds like a bad situation turned good.
Keep us updated on your progress with it.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:58 AM »
It all goes back around to the fact that Wayne is a great guy and knows his poop.  Thanks again Wayne for all your help on the project for Tim too. Your choice of caliber was superb.....It's about impossible to find anything the old fart doesn't have. ;D

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:07:24 AM »
You sure can't go wrong with Wayne!  I like it when you end up with a whole lot of gun in a small package.  You can bet your booties that I am going to be putting a pad on that stock - possibly one of the lace-ons.  This should be a cautionary tale to check out your chamber and your groove diameter in detail in advance if you choose to ream to a higher pressure cartridge with the same nominal diameter, though.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:18 AM »
Do you suppose that is why H&R dumped them? I want one for cast bullets, so I guess it would be good to slug the barrel before they are shot. I also was happy with Waynes work and honesty on when work would be done.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
SJ  thanks for taking the time to post those links.

moorepower  Yeah - I would definitely slug the barrel, especially if you buy rather than cast as a lot of the the commercial cast are little oversized to get a good seal anyway.

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »
One question Guns...why did you go to the 50 Alaskan instead of the 45 Alaskan in this situation? 

I think the 50 Alaskan is great, a very good choice for spiffing up a 500 S&W barrel,(although I'm a glutton for punishment and would have gone to a MUCH bigger case.  ;D :o) but so is the 45 Alaskan and would have been my pick for the 45 cal barrel...saving the cost of the rebore.

Not to cast dispersions, diss, or flame anyone, (Or get an argument started) but many gunsmiths have to do certain "shortcuts" that normally don't cause any problems when rechambering, such as using a 3 or 6 jaw chuch they center to zero TIR then chuck up the barrel and go to reaming.

This normally doesn't cause a problem as the inner and outer OD of most barrels are close enough the run out doesn't affect either the chamber or the accuracy...BUT...in the case of the NEF barrels and how I do a chamber you HAVE to indicate on th ID of the chamber or barrel bore otherwise you get surprises like just happened to Guns-o-fun and Wayne.

EVERY NEF barrel I have was out of whack by enough to cause trouble...the same thing has happened to me to T/C Encore, Contender and just about all the barrel blanks I've used, EXCEPT the higher dollar ones, even then I gotten some that were whacko as far as the bore centerlin and the barrel countour OD was concerned.  It is a fact of life that is addressed by the benchrester/longrangers gunsmiths, but not necessarily by all gunsmiths...and, as I said, it doesn't impact in a negative way always.  It is a function of the way the OD of barrels are centerless ground by some barrel makers. 

I think today many of the barrel makers are cutting the contours on CNC machines on the centers of the bores and those problems have gone away...at least the last two McGowen barrels I've used were contoured that way and I was pleasantly pleased when I chucked them up and found the OD and the bore ID were almost perfectly inline...from a $150 dollar base price barrel

I use a 4 jaw and indicate on the bore ID...with a long armed indicator that sticks back into the bore about 2", and I use a spider and indicate the muzzle bore at the same time, that way I can find any out-of-round bores OR chambers and can compensate somewhat.  It also tells me just how bad the chamber is and then I can rechamber to a larger case and get the chamber centered to the bore centerline again without having to rebore to a largert caliber...not always, but most of the time.  There is also the problem of the drill following the original bore centerline and STILL being off center, but maybe not enough to hurt...as long as the chamber and the bore are centered to each other then the problem is solved...for the average hunting barrel.

Anyway, sosmething to think about.

Luck

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
Well, first of all, I like to tinker, but I certainly am no gunsmith and I trust Wayne's judgement.  We thought first about just going to 45-70 and he tried to match up his reamer to the groves to recut to 458, but he felt that with the twist rate being relatively high (which it is in this barrel for some reason), some old rifling would still be exposed.  So, we decided to go to a 50 cal to be sure to clean everything up neatly.  I already have a 500 S&W, so I said yes to the 50 Alaskan.  I like those 50s.  Fun to shoot - even if a little on the pricey side.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
I'm not a gunsmith either.  One thing we share in common is we both trust Wayne's judgement.  He's a  prince of a man.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
Yes, Wayne is one I would trust also...I've talked to him several times on the feasability of some of my "delusions" I couldn't do with my equipment and have a few more that keep creeping out when I'm not on guard.  :o ;D ::) Hahahahahahaha

The 50 Alaskan is a good one in the Handi, Levergun or ANY shooter for that matter.

Cast Performance and Beartooth both have some very nice hard cast bullets that will work for most large game.  I use the 475gr, 535gr and 590gr in my 510 Makatak...and Ranger Rick has some 545gr, 725gr and 975gr(OMG) in 0.512".

Luck

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »
I wonder how many 45 cal. barrels have .450" bores ?

I just bought a Cimarron/Uberti 45 SAA 5 1/2" and it slugs .450". It shoots .452" laser-cast 255 gr. SWC very well.
I am sure if I shot .452" jacketed rounds, the pressure would be up as well as the recoil.
My Son ownes a Colt 45ACP and the barrel slugs at .449". Kinda tight. Shoots lead very well, but has heavy recoil with jacketed rounds.

I slug every firearm I own, except 22 LR.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
I bid your shoulder good luck!  :P

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
You know - I find with the 500 S&W that my most accurate loads are those that are pretty much in the middle or only a little warm.  Plan on doing the same with 50 Alaskan, so maybe it will not be all that bad with a lace on recoil pad on there.  We shall see.