Author Topic: Ruger #3 in 405 Winchester for lead?  (Read 654 times)

Offline Bigboar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Ruger #3 in 405 Winchester for lead?
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
I am thinking of rebarreling a Ruger #3 in 405 Winchester and plan to shoot only lead in it.  I was thinking of a 410 +/- grain WLN slug.  What do you think?  Any suggestions?  Any alterations?

Best regards,

bigboar

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Ruger #3 in 405 Winchester for lead?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
With that size bore I would personally use the LFN or LCFN depending on how long the throat is and bullet weight desired.  I'd plan on lapping the barrel even if you barrel with the finest premium tube available, as any work on the outside changes the inside, and the inside of a new barrel is never as good as a lapped one.

Best place to start, after you get the barrel hung on there, is to make a throat slug and let me fit a mold to it.  If the smith has a seperate throating reamer and knows the specs, I can cut the weight mold you want and he can throat so a loaded round will chamber.

The WLN is a good choice with that heavy a slug, but you don't need that much meplat with the speeds available.  If you intend to shoot it lower velocities though, the WLN might be the best choice.  Email me personally with any detailed tech questions.    LBTisAccuracy@localnet.com
Veral Smith