Author Topic: Loading smokeless powder for the 45/70 sharpes  (Read 1771 times)

Offline bambi shooter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
Loading smokeless powder for the 45/70 sharpes
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
I have recently purchased two sharpes, one carbine and the other is a pedersoli, quigley style, and I need some info on how to load smokeless powder. I plan on shooting a 405 grain JFP in the full sized, and a 300  grain JHP in the carbine, and I have read that when you load with smokeless powder, you need to put in some sort of filler. The she stated reason for this is that you should have no empty space between the powder and bullet, as this leads to increased pressure, and it also helps with a more even burn rate of the powder, due to the large case size and small amunt of powder. If someone could give some indepth pointers, I would appreciate it, and I cloud also use some advice on loading for a 14 inch 45/70 contender, also shooting smokeless, and also shooting a 300 grain JHP bullet. I have been reloading for several years, but this is a whole new realm for me.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Loading smokeless powder for the 45/70 sharpes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »
If you are going to use a fast burning powder that takes up little room in the case, then you should probably use a filler. However, if you use a slower burning powder that will take up more room at the same pressure levels or a powder designed for low pressure rounds like SR 4759 you should not need filler. With modern smokeless powder, you do not have to fill the case completely up to have a safe low pressure round. For instance a starting charge for a trap door action of IMR 4198 with a charge of 36.0 grains and a 300 grain bullet does not need a filler. Some folks use one any way. Or you use a slower burning powder of say H4895 and use a starting charge of 52 grains with the same 300 grain bullet. If you are really worried about the low case fill, use SR4759, it works very well. Usually you have to watch the fill with "Ball" powders, they are a little harder to ignite and can cause issues like hang fires and unexplained and unrepeatable over pressure situations. Personally I would steer clear of these types of powders for low fill applications, even if you would use a filler. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »
The 45/70 is no magic cartridge that takes some special load to shoot , with the age of your rifles you will want to keep the loads at the Trapdoor level , that puts pressures under 30,000 CUP . Other than that there is no reason why a filler is even needed provided you use the proper powders .

As LaOtto said , you will want to avoid the faster burning BALL powders , Trailboss and Unique both will do a wonderful job with very little powder ( as low as 15g ) and not cause an issue , for a more powerful load look at either Varget , IMR or Hodgdons 4895 or even H335 , these will give a better case fill while keeping pressures down to safe levels .

stimpy

PS -- I load LOTS of 45/70's  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
The "empty space" referrence is for REAL black powder only.  You can load your Sharps replicas with any cartridges that are "safe for all modern firearms in good condition".  The Sharps is a very strong action.

However, IF you decide to load with REAL black powder, you're in for a treat!  The 45-70 was originally designed for black powder, and is most accurate and most predictable with black powder.  I'm not talking about Pyrodex or 777 or any of the black powder substitutes - real black powder!  It's messy, stinky, and you must be thorough with you cleaning chores.  But it's a hoot!

Now if you decide to use black powder, it does not matter how much you put in the case, just as long as it's full, with the bullet crunching it down a bit.  Usually you'll need about 65 - 70 grains of 3Fg black powder, 60 - 65 grains of 2Fg with most CAST LEAD bullets.  No jackets allowed!

If you decide to get into Black Powder, I suggest you purchase and read Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West". 
http://mlventerprises.com/

Offline Autorim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
I use IMR 4198 almost exclusively in my 45-70 although I am going to try some Trail Boss in reduced loads for my grandson to shoot.

Ken

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »
Get yourself a copy of Lyman's reloading book, I think they're up to the 49th edition.  They have a complete set of tables in the back that are specifically for Contender and Encore pistols.  You might also purchase the Thompson Center Contender load books from Loadbooks.com  They have lots of good information.  I purchased Volumes I & II.