Author Topic: Changing primer brands?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Maplicito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Changing primer brands?
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
When I went to get reloading supplies, I was unable to get the Winchester magnum large rifle primers I've been using, but I snagged 1000 CCI magnum large rifle primers.  Anyhow, my question is - if I recall, when you switch primer brands, you really should start working your loads up from a minimum charge again - is that correct?  If I am loading more of a medium load, and I'm not worried about sub-moa accuracy, would you still consider that a necessity, more for safety reasons, or would you think I'd be okay continuing the medium loads, so long as the accuracy seems to be fine?

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Changing primer brands?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
I've never switched brands of primers using a max load, but have done this with loads that were not so heavy.  The only negative I have encountered changing primers was sometimes accuracy went south and sometimes the change made no difference at all.

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply LuckyDucker.  I'll probably keep the same load, and see how accuracy does.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »
I have had good luck with the same near max loads in my 300 win mag  using CCI and Win Mag primers - but I think I'm  1 to 1.5 grains below max loads using IMR and H 4831.  If you have doubts drop 1 to 1.5 grs down and try. But I haven't noticed much difference. I wouldn't start all the way at the bottom. I think I've pretty much had the same luck with Federal 215s too but I know I dropped back 1 or 1.5 grains and worked up.

I wish I could get my hands on ANY mag rifle primers right now. I have a small supply but I'd like to have 400-500 more as I need to do some practicing over the next 5 months.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:15:25 AM »
I always used Remington 7 1/2 in my 40x 222. I was out of primers and couldn't find the 7 1/2. Bought some Federals. Useing the same powder charge it opened my groups up and moved the poi about two inches to the right. I didn't really want to play around and see if i could work up a new load. Made a few phone calls and found a place that had Remington primers. Probably not one thing wrong with Federals but i have tried them in two differant rifles and was not happy with the results. Sold the Federals to a friend of mine and never bought another Federal primer.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:43:19 AM »
The Rem 71/2 primer always seemed to give me the best accuracy in my 7br and .223. Never played with lg rifle to much, but seemed that Fed 210 worked. In one of my old .270's, 1'' groups or a little under was do able most times. So stuck with the Fed's for that and my .375Win. As far as pistol primers go, if the load called for a mag primer, like 296/H110, went with the Fed 200 mag-match sm pistol, or Win. lg pistol mag/std primer for the .44 stuff. As far as .40-.45 or plinking loads in the .38/357, any primer I had on hand. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  Actually, I do have another question.  I didn't buy any pistol primers, because all the store had was magnum large pistol primers, and I've been using standard large pistol primers.  Think I could have gotten away with buying the mags, and just developed a new load starting from a minimum charge for my .45LC?  I'm kind of regretting not buying them while I had the chance.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:32 AM »
I've never switched brands of primers using a max load, but have done this with loads that were not so heavy.  The only negative I have encountered changing primers was sometimes accuracy went south and sometimes the change made no difference at all.

My experiences are the same. Most of my loads are for handguns and not near max. so a primer change doesn't make is necessary to start at min. to work up a load (unless the change gives me "patterns" rather than "groups").

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
I've used mag primers in loads that called for standard. Back the powder down 10-12% from where I was at. A Serria manual I have mentioned that, so I tried it. Several shooters I know, use mag primers, as they claim it gives them a cleaner burn. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman