Author Topic: Reloading data for 7-30 Waters  (Read 3253 times)

Offline THunter1

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading data for 7-30 Waters
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Hello Brethern,

I recently aquired a T/C Super 14" chambered in 7-30 Waters. I am very inexperienced when it comes to reloading. All my knowledge is based on what I could find on the internet. From what I have found posted on the internet it seems that the 7-30 Waters lacks the velocity to expand bullets at or past the 200 yard mark.

I am interested in load data that can produce velocities that will expand bullets at or around the 200 yard mark. I don't really plan on shooting that far in a practical setting but I want the comfort of knowing I can if I want to.

I would also like to get information on bullet design that produces the best expantion in the 7-30 Waters. I have seen the expansion performance, first hand, of Remington bullets, Hornady bullets, and Barnes bullets when fired from guns chambered in a variety of calibers. I personally like the performance of the Barnes bullet but I can't tell if the 7-30 Waters can produce the minimum required velocity to expand the bullet out to 200 yards.

Please help. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline HL

• Contributor
Re: Reloading data for 7-30 Waters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:44 AM »
First off, I would stick with the 120-130 grain bullets.

Second, I wouldn't depend on the internet for guidance in reloading. Purchase several reloading manuals and use that information as a go by. I don't have any experience with Barnes bullets. The only bullet I use in my 7-30 is the Sierra 120gr. Pro Hunter loaded to just a little under 2400 fps.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:38 AM »
Welcome to the TC Contender ranks.   I bought my first one in 1968 and its been a fun road for 42 years (al beit a very expensive one due to the sheer number of frames/barrels I've owned).   ;D

As for your question, I don't pass along my reloading data to anybody for a very good reason, not even my closest hunting pards.   When you know what it is and understand what the ramifications are, you won't ask for load data from others again.   What powder, bullet, primer or etc to use maybe, but not loads.

Do yourself a favor and learn to do it right from the start.   A safe reloading regime is worth its weight in fingers, eyes, etc and just might save your life.   Buy a copy of the Lyman 48th and read it cover to cover BEFORE you start reloading.   Will save you money on reloading equipment, and possibly serious injury.

Regards

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:59 AM »
All good advice above.

An excellant investment for a new reloader available at Midsouth Shooters Supply for $18.00:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000159816049

Bill

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, the Lyman 49th Edition has a section specifically for the T/C Contender & Encore, including your 7-30 Waters 14" barrel. Load data guidelines for jacketed bullets from 120 gr. up to 160 gr. and cast bullet 135 gr. is included.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
I have two of these in Contenders.  The best performing bullet I have found is the Sierra 130 grain bullet made for pistol velocities.  Knocks deer dead for me.  The Nosler BT in 120 will print good on paper, but doesn't perform as well on deer.  These are the only two bullets I have tested.  I use a ball powder, not sure which one.

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:01 AM »
CharlesP try a spire Point make it a bit hot, not overly but a bit
I think it will preform

Tommyt

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:38:26 AM »
CharlesP
Hoard the 130 gr Sierra's they no longer make them. That was/is the bullet for the 7-30 Waters for Deer.

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
from the powder companies not a big variety of bullets but a starting spot

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Offline Gibbsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
I use a 139 gr interbond from hornaday. The last shot was 254yrds and no problems whatsoever. Also had a friend that thought it would be neat to shoot something with a pistol so I let him use the old waters. he missed the first shot at 170 yrds on a whitetail doe. She made a fatal mistake and stopped for a second look and that time sown she went. That was ranged at 200 yrds. I have a little saying now for the old 7-30 waters.( When it rains it WATERS)

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
 I get excellent results with Hornady 120 gr SP and RL-15. This load is very accurate in my 14" Contender, and is deadly on deer and hogs.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:54 AM »
AS recommended get yourself some loading manuals. One in particular I found quite a bit of data in was the Nosler, but the Lyman is also a good one. Several are better than one to compare load data and bullets with. They will also help out with things like proper forming of the cases, and how to watch for pressure with the break open action.

In working up loads for mine I tried a variety of bullets and powders. I used some bulk 140gr Remington bullets, simply because I had them. They were loaded up using a medium load recommended by the manual. My goal was similar, I was going to use this for an out of state handgun only hunt in big deer country and didn't want to drive a thousand miles only to have to pass on a shot out at 150yds.

I consulted with every manufacturer on what the lowest impact velocities were for the bullets I had chosen, as well as if they had any preferred load data wich would help me reach my goal.

In the end I found that RL-15 indeed produced the best groups and velocity for my barrel, however there were others which were very close. The two bullets I stuck with were both in the 140gr, and were the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Barnes X. The Barnes while reported to expand to at least double caliber at the lower velocity of the two did not group as well as I had hoped, however the BT shot ragged holes at 100yds, and as long as I could hold it still, to ranges out to 250yds.

I used it on a doe at 283 lasered yards and upon impact behind the onside shoulder it nearly flipped her over. It exited through the offside shoulder leaving a half dollar sized hole, and taking out a goodly portion of vitals with it. She made one leap and piled up.

When I worked up those loads there was only the Nosler which had the plastic tip on them to promote expansion. Nowadays there are several more great bullets to choose from. If doing it again I would possibly look at the 140's from Hornady, Nosler, and Barnes 120 TTSX. I highly doubt you will not find one of them to shoot very accurately. About the most your going to get from your barrel is in the mid 2200fps range with the heavier bullets, possibly mid 2300's with the 120 depending on which powder you use. Out at 200yds this will be down in the 1800fps range and your relying on the expansion to do the job instead of ft/lbs of energy. Of all the detractions from Nosler Ballistic tip bullets over expansion has been one of the most widely broadcast, however this is generally due to high impact velocities with the lighter bullets for caliber. The 140gr has not shown to do this at the lower end velocities and has performed very well. It will also hold more energy and buck the wind a bit better than the lighter weight bullets.

Good luck with your work ups. If possible look through several manuals at the library or one of the local shops. Pick out the ones you find the best or most data in for the calibers your going to load. The ones mentioned are good, but these are based upon personal preferences and data useful to me. Either way the manual(s) are the way to go. Too much internet stuff can be detrimental in some cases.

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
 NONE of the many loads I've tried in MY 14" 7-30 have been as accurate as the federal factory loads. I decided to forget handloading for it as I have other barrels that respond better to my handloads. Also ,I do not use the 7-30 as often as I use the 6.5JDJ or 7TC/u!