Author Topic: Lead for molding ?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
Lead for molding ?
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
I have a bunch of tire weights I collected over the years. I have no idea what lead is selling for by the pound, anyone have any idea? I want to get rid of them but I have to be seller specific for price and so on to post in the classifieds.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lead for molding ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:08 AM »
you need to know if they are lead or zink or other . Call a scrap yard in your area for the price in your area . Here the tire place i buy from gives me about a 5 gal. bucket 2/3's full every few mos. If i was selling them here a dollar a pound might work. maybe a little less for lead ones zink i toss.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Pure lead is .75, down from a dollar ,Wheel Weights are less at bout .50 a pound and you can put 70# in a Priority flatrate box.
Check on ebay for current selling rates  ;) . I never buy there as it's too high,,I have a salvage yard near.
found elsewhere

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
Pure lead is .75, down from a dollar ,Wheel Weights are less at bout .50 a pound and you can put 70# in a Priority flatrate box.
Check on ebay for current selling rates  ;) . I never buy there as it's too high,,I have a salvage yard near.

where are you located ? lead has dropped alot since i checked last

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »
Last year I was paying 10 cents a pound at one place and 15 at another, as said just picking up a bucket of WW at a tire shop, they are about half junk, and the last ones I got had a lot of the Glue on weights, the lead ones are pretty soft for Bullets.
Once you skim the metal clips, zinc, and now some of the glue on ones are steel; it cut the value down fast.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »
true about the junk in them but free is free and being a plumber dropping in a roll of 95/5 soder to firm up the mix isno big deal  ;)

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
if ya go to castboolits in the swappin' and sellin' pages ya can find out about what it's worth in the real world and how to tell'em apart. flat-rate boxes of 60 to 70lbs go anywhere from $50.00 or so per box up to about $1.00 per lb for the better grades. tin to harden the mix goes for several bucks a lb. this is usually but not always already smelted into ingots. for what it's worth, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
if ya go to castboolits in the swappin' and sellin' pages ya can find out about what it's worth in the real world and how to tell'em apart. flat-rate boxes of 60 to 70lbs go anywhere from $50.00 or so per box up to about $1.00 per lb for the better grades. tin to harden the mix goes for several bucks a lb. this is usually but not always already smelted into ingots. for what it's worth, bubba.

Wheel weights that have been sorted and smelted into ingots are worth significantly more than raw wheel weights; that's just common sense.  I generally see WW ingots selling for up to $1 per pound, regardless of what the spot price is at the salvage yard.  

Yeah, you might get a 5-gallon bucket of raw "wheel weights" for free, beer, donuts, pizza, or $10-20.  That includes lead, steel, zinc, razor blades, valve stems, snuff boxes, cigarette butts, etc.  Figure that 25-35% of the weight of the bucket is trash.  When you're buying ingots, it's all usable lead; big difference.

At least, that's my take on it.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:58 AM »
In my area they're going from 30 to 50 cents a lb. Don't melt them down though. Most guys want to know there are no zinc ones mixed in, and if you melt them they may hesitate to buy them. I know I would.