Author Topic: has anybody restored a model 97 shotgun?  (Read 723 times)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
has anybody restored a model 97 shotgun?
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
i have a old 97 that belonged to my gpa. it is in rough shape. but shoots fine. i have a set of finished stocks ordered from boyds and am looking for a smith to reblue it. i dont giv a crap about collector value. this gun will never leave my family. does anyone have any pics of guns they have restored?

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: has anybody restored a model 97 shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
I would not restore it if it was mine. Has nothing to do with value but everything to do with memories. My old mod 97 with 32" full choke barrel and steel butt plate has turned to silver patina. Over the years I have shot a lot with it, pheasants, rabbits, deer, quail, squirrels, and much more. It has been out hunting in all weather, good days, rain, snow, and freezing ice. Several of my hunting companions that were along on those ugly days have now passed on. All I have to do is look at it in the safe and the memories are staring back at me. Refinish it and all the memories are gone.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
My father had a 97, and I wish I had it.  It was well used and the wrist was cracked and wrapped with wire.  It was so worn that it would sometimes fire when closing the breech.  If I had it I would make it safe but keep the rest just as it was.  He sold it long before I had any say in the matter, but one day I will run across a 97 and it will come home with me just because.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:08 AM »
My old 97 is a takedown model and given to me in rough shape by my best friend.
The barrel was bent from being run over by a truck at the end of a long day duck hunting according to the man it came from.
The slide was also bent and the forearm was cracked.
The butt stock had been replaced with one from a Savage and you could turn it 360 degrees.
Didn't fit the action at all but it was on there none the less.
I found a used butt stock for $20.00 and another complete barrel and slide & forearm for $75.00.
I also got an extra barrel for $40.00 which I had threaded for screw in chokes.
A friend of mine was able to straighten the old barrel to near perfect condition by tapping it on the top of a padded  fence post.
I cleaned and oiled it up and it works as good as a new one.
I adjusted the other two barrels to the action and now have a three barrel set for it and look forward to using it this squirrel season.
It still looks the way it did when I got it as far as the bluing goes and will remain that way.
All total I have about $200.00 tied up in it and another Winchester for my collection.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
i didnt even know this gun existed until my dad came home from a trip to see his sister and brother in law. it seems my uncle purchased it from my gpa in the 50's .he gave it to my dad to do whatever he wants with it.it is not shootable with the broken rear stock so i ordered a new set from boyds.they came in a few days and look very nice but very out of place on a barrel and action so worn!my dad mentioned he would like to see it look as nice as his other 97 which is a 16 ga and be used to hunt with. so i plan on getting it reblued and giving it to him for CHRISTmas.

i have and will eventually have several guns from both sides of my family in nice orig shape.i think it will please my dad to see this gun in the shape he remembers it in when his dad had it.he wont hunt with it but he knows someday i will.