Author Topic: Accuracy of 308 Ultra Hunter?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Rj 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy of 308 Ultra Hunter?
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »
I am looking at getting a 308 Ultra and was wondering if anyone is getting M.O.A or sub M.O.A out of their 308's and what loads you are using. I plan on loading my own and am trying to get an idea of what they seem to like as far as bullet weight and powder. I am also looking at a Remington 700 VTR in 308 but I can get the Ultra and a decent scope for the price of the VTR alone.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Accuracy of 308 Ultra Hunter?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »
I have a 308 Survivor bull barrel in camo lam stock set, it's only been to the range once, the only thing I did to it was make sure the forend wasn't too tight per the FAQs and added a pressure point to the tip of the forend which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, the 168gr TSX-BT and Varget shoots ~1" groups so far, the target below was two 3-shot groups all shot within about 2 minutes, lower 3 rounds at 44.5gr, the upper three 45gr using Barnes data, I was running out of time and just wanted to finish the loads I had for it instead of going home with unfired ammo!!  ;D

Tim

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/308WinWeb.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rj 1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the post Tim! I might have to give one a try  ;)

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
I haven't done any specific load development for the Handi, but my .308 Ultra shoots a 165 GameKing into 1.5 inches at 100 yards.  The barrel is brand new and I expect the groups to tighten up after the bore smooths out.  I use 43.0 grains of Reloder 15, that 165 GameKing and a WLR primer.  That particular load shoots into MOA with several rifles in the family and I had that load available when I took the little rifle to the range.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
I have a 308 ultra varmint did the JB bore paste thing when I got it and it's shooting 1.5" with rem core lokt 150gr at 100 yards and is slowly improving as it is shot.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
Both are nice rifles but the Remington bolt gun would probably give you better accuracy out of the box. Mac will probably disagree with me but.... :-\
Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Spanky

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Both are nice rifles but the Remington bolt gun would probably give you better accuracy out of the box. Mac will probably disagree with me but.... :-\
Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Spanky

No..not always ;D

The VTR is a sweet rifle..and if it is one of the new ones with the new Mark 2 triggers that makes it even nicer but you gotta decide if you want a bolt or a single shot my friend.The Remmy has a ton of extra's you can get for it..I know a couple guys that have the VTR and both are having good luck with the 168 grain Bergers and 165 Accubonds..The 308 bull barrel I had loved the Winchester Walmart cheapies 150 grain Power Points..I sold it to my next door neighbor after putting some camo laminates and a LymbSaver recoil pad on it..He has well over 100 DRT deer with that load and his brother who bought it from him has over 50..

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
That's all good news to my ears, nothing wrong with 1-1 1/2" groups . I just got a used barrel here, a .308 with micro groove rifling. I'm thinking I have a rarity, which makes me like it even more. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though. Slightly off topic, buuut...Does anybody here know the minimum accuracy standard for a military sniper rifle, like those gussied up Remingtons in 7.62x51? Maybe someone here has messed with them? Just curious how picky they are.

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »
Back during Desert Storm I helped qualify precision marksmen for the MPs.  (Lord, has that been 20 years ago?)  If I remember correctly, they fired their quals at 100 yards.  They used a standard bullseye target with a 1" 10-ring and a 2" 9-ring.  Ten shots fired at the target.  The minimum score was 9 in the 10 ring and one in the 9 ring.