Author Topic: Static eletricity and black powder  (Read 1158 times)

Offline dougrunnels

• Trade Count: (0)
Static eletricity and black powder
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »
Maybe this has already been discussed, but here it is again.
Someone in some post (I cannot find it now) was talking about static electricity possible igniting black powder.
Although I use Lyman's "black powder" powder measure to load my black powder cartridges, I have never felt it was necessary.
Loading my BB mortar, I used to just reach down and pour the powder into the chamber.  That concerned me as there may be an errant spark still there.  Not a very good happening if there was.
I devised a funnel system to load my chamber which consisted of a plain plastic funnel and a peice of garden hose attached.  Haven't had problem yet, but I did make it long enuff so could stand to the side.
I like the copper funnel system as it looks neat and trim and pretty, but mine works OK.
I don't believe static will ignite black powder but I will always try to be safe.
FYI,  and maybe ya'll have seen this video before, but I am including a link to muzzleloaders website where the author made some test trying to ignite BP with static electricity.  It is very interesting.
I am not saying that static will NOT ignite BP and you should have your own safety standards.  Just be safe.

Doug Runnels in Old Town Spring, Tx

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: Static eletricity and black powder
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
Doug,    Interesting website,  thanks for posting it.  A while back there was a person who mangled his hand from pre-ignition when he was loading a tennis ball down the tight bore of a long barrel mortar.  The powder was loose in the bottom of the bore and it was speculated that the friction of the ball created a static spark which caused ignition.  He mangled his hand from cupping it over the end of the rammer.  I suppose it could have also been something else that may have caused it fire.  Dom

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
It's not likely that pushing a tennis ball down a metallic tube would generate static electricity since the metal would conduct away the charge.  And, of course, the powder also conducts and has been demonstrated to not ignite from sparks, though I can't say there are no conditions where this couldn't happen.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Static electricity and Acetylene
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:34:14 AM »
I had never seen it but , My cousin made a mortar to shoot soccer balls . His power source was Acetylene.

It was the 4th of July many years ago and his wifes family were visiting .  After the first shot all were oohing and awing  . He decided to really load it up good .  Fired off the 2nd round , ran out picked up the ball and went to stuff it in the tube.  There was enough residual Acetylene remaining in the tube from last mega shot so that when in his haste to stuff the soccer ball in it caused a static spark , he threw his head back but the ball hit him  in the shoulder  chest area  . The resulting explosion blew him up and back wards 30 feet .

The Cousin later revealed he had an out of body experience . He said he was floating around looking down , every one was crying  , his wife saying he's dead , he's dead .  He said from his floating position he kept telling them no I'm not , I just can't breath .
Finally one member of the family decided to do CPR and it got him going .
  He had serious facial burns , a dislocated shoulder a few broken ribs.

So be carefully out there , fun becomes tragedy in a heart beat .
Being I was not there and this was all related second hand I know not the actual facts . But this cousin was even goofier than I  , so it is believable.

Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:34:15 AM »
Doug,
Thanks for posting that link, that's really an eye-opener; if I had bet on the outcome of that experiment, I would have lost.
Another firearms aficionado told me that manufacturers coat black powder in graphite to guard against ignition by static electricity, and while I don't think I buy that, (I've read of different reasons for it) it could be a secondary benifit.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline belt fed frog

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »
1Southpaw,

in all likely hood it was not a static spark that set off the Acetylene/ Oxy mix left in the tube .Acetylene only requires about 15 Psi. to spontaneously ignite . back in the day not that long ago when "bag bombs" were still legal a guy i used to work with would fill a 30 Gal .garbage bag with Oxy/Acetylene tie it off and throw a 4' wrench onto it to set it off  until the day it threw it back at him  :o that is not to say that static was not involved i have had a bag  that was not drained of static charge go off while it was being filled and less than 1/4 filled  only happened once  but it was enough for me to make sure the charge was drained off my self  before i filled one , after that "little "accident  i never let anyone touch a bag i was going to use . now  i no longer mess with them  because they were declared to be an illegal device by the powers that be

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
Sounds like a real good thing NOT to mess with !!!     :o
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline dougrunnels

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
My Acetylene gauge shows 0-15 lbs as normal and over that to 30 lbs in the red.  I have never had Acetylene explode due to overpressure that my gauges would provide. And I have used over pressure for Acetylene when needed for the application.  Never an explosion except a pop if I closed the O2 first.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 12:41:42 AM »
My Acetylene gauge shows 0-15 lbs as normal and over that to 30 lbs in the red.  I have never had Acetylene explode due to overpressure that my gauges would provide. And I have used over pressure for Acetylene when needed for the application.  Never an explosion except a pop if I closed the O2 first.

Acetylene is very unstable.  That's why, in the tank, it's kept in solution in acetone (when the tank goes empthy you can smell it).  

This is worth the research (google search) to get good info from the professional organizations.  

Heres one: http://www.c-f-c.com/specgas_products/acetylene.htm
Acetylene cylinders shall be stored valve end up.

Because acetylene is extremely sensitive to pressure, it should never be used at more than 15 p.s.i. Many workers have been injured or killed when using oxygen-acetylene welder and cutters because they allowed their rig to subject the acetylene fuel to pressures greater than 15 p.s.i. The actual OSHA standard, 1910.253(a)(2) says,

Maximum pressure. Under no condition shall acetylene be generated, piped
(except in approved cylinder manifolds) or utilized at a pressure in excess of 15
psig (103 kPa gauge pressure) or 30 psia (206 kPa absolute). ... This requirement
is not intended to apply to storage of acetylene dissolved in a suitable solvent in
cylinders manufactured and maintained according to U.S. Department of
Transportation requirements, or to acetylene for chemical use. The use of liquid
acetylene shall be prohibited.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:23:02 AM »
I've had a hose explode when a regulator diaphram failed. It happens. I was lucky and not injured, but I was also prepared. This setup was as safe as they come, stuff happens.

Just because it has never happened to you, doesn't make it safe.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:28:51 AM »
 Will that plastic water pipe make static eletricity  if use for a funnel drop tube, Most all your powder measures are clear plastic. Thanks

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »
Will that plastic water pipe make static eletricity  if use for a funnel drop tube, Most all your powder measures are clear plastic. Thanks

We would use copper if we had a choice, however we don't think you would be exposing yourself to much risk by using the water pipe.  The choice is yours to make.  Please read info below to see what we believe about static electricity and BP.

I don't believe static will ignite black powder but I will always try to be safe.

I am not saying that static will NOT ignite BP and you should have your own safety standards.  Just be safe.

We are glad you brought this topic up again, Doug.  It's an important one.  Mike and I did hundreds of static electricity/powder tests before we set up a black powder aluminum foil cartridge loading bench in Mike' basement.  We zapped little pinches of 3 Fg and 4Fg BP with stun guns, hand held steel wire stock after rubbing a wool sweater on a plastic covered table and the same after shuffling across a synthetic carpet with leather shoes, etc., etc.  Not once could we get a poof!

We also whacked little pinches of BP with a 24 oz. Ball Peen hammer on a steel anvil 20 times a day for a week.  No bang.  However, We NEVER BEAT the BP cartridges we make to the bottom of a cannon bore with an oak dowel and a hammer as in several Utube episodes!! NEVER, ever will we do that!

So, we agree with you that a static elec. chg. probably will not ignite BP, but we will take reasonable precautions, just to be extra safe.
We leave the capped one pound can on the concrete floor to bleed off any static elec. while we load 3 cartridges, then we uncap it and pour 3.5 oz. into a brass measure which feeds the powder scale pan with 3, 400gr. charges of BP.  The 1 Lb. can is capped and placed on the floor again.  We wear cotton clothing with no steel buttons or snaps, safety glasses and a face shield and thin canvas garden gloves.  That's it.  We are going on 500 charges made now in 3 years.  We feel, not absolutely, but reasonably safe loading cartridges this way.

Doug,    Interesting website,  thanks for posting it.  A while back there was a person who mangled his hand from pre-ignition when he was loading a tennis ball down the tight bore of a long barrel mortar.  The powder was loose in the bottom of the bore and it was speculated that the friction of the ball created a static spark which caused ignition.  He mangled his hand from cupping it over the end of the rammer.  I suppose it could have also been something else that may have caused it fire.  Dom

Dom,   We have to agree with GGaskill that a static charge wound very likely bleed away via the gun tube.  Ignition from that source seems very unlikely.  We think that another cause is far more likely and has been proven to be able to ignite BP millions of times in flintlock muskets and rifles.  What is a flintlock spark?  Most everyone here knows it is a tiny piece of 'incandescent' iron or steel which has been sheared from the Frizzen by the strike of the flint.  Friction heats it up and the oxygen in the air we breath allows it to burn.  

It just happens that the mineral quartz has the same hardness on the MOHS Scale as does Flint which is a 7 with diamond at 10 and talc at 1.  So, one of the worlds most common minerals can create a spark when it strikes anything steel or vice-versa.  Back in my son's Cub Scout days I taught a class on firestarting.  Each scout had a little chunk of deburred file and a 2" sqaure of Char-cloth he made by cooking pieces of old blue-jeans in a sealed steel canister.  We sat in my front yard and I had them grab a piece of crushed quartz out of my crushed rock landscaping strip under the house's eaves.  The time requirement was 5 minutes or less.  Not one of them failed this real life survival test.
It was so easy to get a hot spark from that quartz and steel, that I am wondering if this combination could have caused this fellows extreme misfortune.

It is at least possible that a small piece of quartz rock, not much bigger than a grain of sand, which is almost always inexpensive crushed quartz, could cling to the fuzzy fibers of a tennis ball and actually scrape a tiny curl of barrel steel off and inflame it as the ball was thrust home by the rammer.  This type of spark WOULD ignite the loose BP at the tube's bottom.  

Just a possibility,

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
I can tell you this, back in the early 1980's  I was able set Goex FFg on an anvil and strike it with a hammer and it would go crack.  I tried it again about 5 years ago and nothing...I think they change some thing.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »
  You could very well be right here, Douglas, because when we did these impact experiments in 2005, we had no luck at all which was very surprising to us.

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
I had to read this a few times:

3.5 oz. into a brass measure which feeds the powder scale pan with 3, 400gr. charges of BP.

before I finally got 3 charges, each of 400 grains.  Not 3,400 grain charges.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.