Author Topic: Any Handi Shooters in Laramie, WY???  (Read 678 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Any Handi Shooters in Laramie, WY???
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
Guys

I am heading out to Laramie in July and was wondering if anyone on GBO lived there? Just curiosity I guess.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Any Handi Shooters in Laramie, WY???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
I went to college in Laramie, live in Buffalo, WY now.  I had a lot of fun in Laramie, enjoy yourself.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »
   We live on the east side of the Thunder Baisn. About 40 miles south of Devils Tower.
 How many on this form live in Wioming?

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
Also went to college in Laramie in the late 70's and early 80's. There are a lot of opportunities for hunting and fishing in the area. Stop in at the local game and fish department for a better idea of your choices.

There is a range there, but I am not sure where it is now. Again, ask around.

I live in Lander now, my home town...about 220 miles northwest of Laramie.

I hope you enjoy your time in our state.

Jeff
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:53:19 AM »
Thanks. That is what I am hunting. I am hoping to run across a gun show in relative distance and maybe get to know some folks around and inquire about hunting opportunities for future trips.
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quatroclick

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:56 AM »
It's not that far to Ft. Collins or even Denver.  I run in to quite a few people from Wyoming that come to the gun shows in Denver.

Offline audrey1216

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:11 AM »
I went to college in Laramie as well.  Nice place and some hardy people live there.  Laramie is nice in July.  I believe it is their summer month.  Spring will arrive there pretty soon.  I hope you enjoy your trip.

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
  Laramie is nice in July.  I believe it is their summer month.  Spring will arrive there pretty soon. 

As will fall. Winter in the longest month...about 270 days.
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
My truck started to give me the middle finger as I was coming out of Laramie when I moved out here....made it to Rock Springs but from Rawlins to Rock Springs was a heck of a long drive at 55mph.  I am all over the state with my job but most Rawlins down to Baggs over to Evanston up to Pinedale.

There is a 4H bow shoot in Boulder on June 19th, if anyone is intersted I plan on going and will drive (I have a new truck now) if you meet me here in RS or you are along the way.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
Guys

I am heading out to Laramie in July and was wondering if anyone on GBO lived there? Just curiosity I guess.

Daman

I'm down Loveland, Ft Collins, Greeley way. We own land just outside of Laramie, Wy on the Colorado side.

Be ready for wind, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've been in Laramie and it wasn't windy.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »
Was stationed at FE Warren in Cheyenne for 7 years, hunted and roamed around up Happy Jack, and over in the Snowy Range, further over in the Red Desert, and down around Baggs. Ended up in Evanston for another 7 years, and other than a couple of pawn shops there and one decent retail shop in the 'big' grocery store, there wasn't a lot there, either, meaning a trip into Ogden or SLC, or up to Star Valley or into east Idaho.
Gun shops seem to be getting mighty thin in SE Wyoming, more in Rawlins and Rock Springs than there were in Cheyenne or Laramie.  Casper didn't seem to have a lot to offer, either.  Of course, there's the Wally World offerings....
Depending on which way you're going in, a stop at Cabella's in Sydney, NE is worth the time.
There's some 'revolving' gun shows that come by about quarterly.  The best show in the area though is the end of January at the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club indoor range.  No jerky, survival gear, fantasy swords, Nazi crap, just a bunch of good ol' boys who spend a lot of time shooting and hunting, moving their gear around.
In Cheyenne, the last of the 'good' gun shops is Frontier Arms, down on Lincolnway, run by a fella named Dick, and his wife and daughter.  Decent prices, interesting inventory, gunsmith shop that Dick works in, AND, they have a good selection of new and used long guns and handguns, and will dicker with ya, unlike the big box stores.
There's also "RLY" that deals out of Cheyenne, but memory says he does more business on the show circuit.
Marv's Place, also on Lincolnway, always seems to have a few guns in their pawnshop, but don't pay attention to what's on the sticker.  I never, ever paid what they had marked on their stuff, and walked away with some REALLY good bargains.  They also have a bottomless pot of the world's nastiest coffee going, but I'd recommend taking your own cup in!
There are a couple of Pawns on the main drag through Laramie, you just have to keep your eyes open, or hit the yellow pages.  There used to be quite a few guns for sale at the 66 station on the intersection of I-80  and Snowy Range Road, and a couple blocks west on Snowy Range.  Memory says that there were a lot more basement bandits than storefront operations in Laramie, but it's been awhile.....
Get the "Thrifty Nickel", or "Big Nickel", or whatever name they have on the free want ad type paper at every retail store and gas station in the region.  I've found more guns and gear in there at garage sale prices than anywhere else.  Tons of GI's in Cheyenne, and lots of 'stuff' for sale.
Do a Google search for gun stores or gunsmiths in the towns you are going through.  That gives you names, addresses and contact information.
Also, while I'm thinking about it, make arrangements with an FFL in your area that will do transfers, get several signed FFL's from him, that will let you buy something (and you WILL find a treasure or two), and make arrangements at point of purchase for shipping, etc.....
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »

I'm down Loveland, Ft Collins, Greeley way. We own land just outside of Laramie, Wy on the Colorado side.

Be ready for wind, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've been in Laramie and it wasn't windy.  8)
[/quote]

Speaking of wind in Wyoming, most of the folks I knew suspected that the wind don't 'blow', it travels across Wyoming at a high rate of speed caused by severe lack of pressure in Utah, Colorado and Nebraska!!!

ALSO, the only folks who trust the weather man in Wyoming is newcomers and idiots.  Snow in July, frog chokin' rain storms, tornadoes....
There's two seasons in Wyoming.  Winter goes for nine months, and three months of lousy skiing........................
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »

ALSO, the only folks who trust the weather man in Wyoming is newcomers and idiots.  Snow in July, frog chokin' rain storms, tornadoes....
There's two seasons in Wyoming.  Winter goes for nine months, and three months of lousy skiing........................

That's funny. I am a Weather Forecaster in the AF, and I am trying my best to get to FE Warren. Was at Malmstrom for a little while and loved it.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Hogfan, if you make it to FE Warren, you'll want to have a wind chain and a rain rock.  If the chain is hanging at 45 degrees, it's a light breeze.  If it's 90 degrees out, it's a steady light breeze.  Rain rocks is simple.  If it's dry, there's no rain.  If it's wet, there's probably a tornado hanging around, if it's white, it's one of the nine months of winter............some storms have the private pilots installing propeller chains to get through the weather.