Author Topic: Gallery rifle loads-Gluletts and Unique  (Read 763 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Gallery rifle loads-Gluletts and Unique
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:26:12 AM »
I have been having a good time with my 30 foot basement range.  Plastic and rubber bullets, gluletts and gluballs give me a lot of trigger time that I wouldn't ordinarily get.  On top of that, the rubber bullets out of pistols or pistol caliber rifles are very accurate as are the hot glue projectiles out of handguns.

Unfortunately, in the rifle caliber long guns I have tried, even LRM primers don't have enough push to reliably force a glulett down a rifle length barrel, even if the glulett is lubricated.  Wax bullets have generally proved unsatisfactory accuracy wise.

Now, in my C&B revolvers I use 2 or 3 gr. of FFFG under a 36 or 44 gluball with very good results.  And no, the smoke doesn't get bad.   ;)

This started me thinking about developing a gallery rifle level load using a glulett and a couple of grains of a non-position sensative powder like Unique or maybe Trail Boss.

Has anyone tried this or heard anything on the subject or have any thoughts or ideas?    ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Gallery rifle loads
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
used to play with 4570s with 2 grains of bullseye and a 300 grain cast bullet. About like shooting a 22 and not much louder. If you really want light my buddy used to do the same with 1 grain of bullseye and a round ball seated in a fired case. Hed just punch the primer out and dipper in a grain of powder and seat a round ball by hand.
blue lives matter

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
Mr Atlaw, ya'll might be breaking new ground up there in Kennesaw.  I've never thought about glulets from a rifle, but I would think a pinch of Unique should do the trick.  Let us know how this turns out, as I'm thinkin of a whole new level of backyard fun now! ;D

I wonder what a glulet would do to a squirril?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
There's actually some bit of information on this on the web.  Seems like, as you all say, Bullseye is a favorite.  Most everybody uses lead bullets, so it wouldn't take much at all for a glulett.

Oops, gotta go eat, later...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Went down to the man cave this evening.  Said to myself, self, what the heck!  So I grabbed a piece of 44 Mag brass, a can of Unique and gave it a go!   ;D

3 gr. of Unique with a LRM primer and a glulett made a "pop" then "thwack" when it hit the cardboard.  Seems about the same velocity as the LRM primer and rubber bullet and didn't penetrate the canvas backing.  Seems pretty good.   :-\

Hi-ebber, and day always be a hi-ebber,  ::)  The gluletts didn't hit the target!   :(  I'm going to have to do some more work here...  :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
Re: Gallery rifle loads-Gluletts and Unique
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »
You may be getting "blow by" on the gluelet.  Put them in the freezer for a few minutes before shooting.........?

Works with paint balls, except I can't get anyone to play with me anymore........ >:(
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25:23 PM »
You might try vegetable fiber wads to hold the small powder charge against the back of the case. Might even reduce 'blow by' by acting as a soft gas check.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=517826

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
Seems like a long time ago I read about guys who would drill out cases to take a shotgun primer. Would that work or is it too much hassle/ expense?

Keep in mind the lead exposure from the primers if you are not using lead free primers inside.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »
Okay, I'm going to abandon the glulett/unique trials.   With 2 gr. of Unique I get about a 12 inch pattern at 30 feet.   ::)  My M-92 will put 3 rubber bullets into one hole with just primers at that distance.   :)

Now I'm thinking cast parafin bullets may be the way to go!   ;D  Sticking a 30-30 case into a block of the stuff didn't work real well, but I got to thinkin that I can always find a use for a .30 cal bullet mold so if I got one I wouldn't really be loosing anything so...    :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
 Parafin might be too soft all by itself. Go to, or call a local hobby shop,,people make candles,,there is a pellet type additive for parrafin that makes it harder, it's simple to add and melt with the parafin,,cheap too, couple bucks for a small bag to treat several pounds.
 I forgot what the stuff is called ,I'd hafta go dig my kit out from back in the day when I was dippin candles for selling at vous' an flea-bay,,spend a little time searching "candle making" and it'll come up.
 Lube the mold with some kind of vegetable oil or lanolin so the wax will "release".
found elsewhere

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:04 AM »
there is a pellet type additive for parrafin that makes it harder,

Did some checking, I tell ya, the Internet is really GRAND!   ;D, and found lots of information on addatives.  I think I'll try stearic acid since it is 'spose to harden the wax and also acts as a mold release!   :o

Thanks for the idea!   :)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41:55 AM »
Parafin might be too soft all by itself. Go to, or call a local hobby shop,,people make candles,,there is a pellet type additive for parrafin that makes it harder, it's simple to add and melt with the parafin,,cheap too, couple bucks for a small bag to treat several pounds.
 I forgot what the stuff is called ,I'd hafta go dig my kit out from back in the day when I was dippin candles for selling at vous' an flea-bay,,spend a little time searching "candle making" and it'll come up.
 Lube the mold with some kind of vegetable oil or lanolin so the wax will "release".
I was thinking the same thing and wondered if Seal wax would work.
When I was given a family crest ring when I was in College I found large sticks of seal wax for pretty cheap.  that could work, as it already has the hardner in it.  
I now want to play with the glueletts.  Who has a 44 or 45 Mold cheap?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
Seems purdy simple.  You need gas checks on 'em glueletts
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt