Author Topic: Help with AR 15 Build  (Read 589 times)

Offline Old Moss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help with AR 15 Build
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
 :)  Hi folks!

I had posted an earlier thread about putting together a competition rifle.  Found out that you can have ar 15 style weapons in Calif if it has a bullet magazine button.  Soooo

What lower receiver do you all recommend I start with,  Budget is slow so can only buy a piece or two at a time and best buy for the money helps.  Yes, I now you get what you pay for so nothing cheap or poorly made.

I am leaning toward a Stag Arms or Rock River.  I have a shop near by that carries a lower that has a big spider logo on it ???

This will be a flat top A4 with a standard A2 butt stock and a heavy 24-26" Bbl, 1-7 twist and a match chamber set-up for 5.56 version not the 223 or a Wilde match chamber.

Thanks for any advice possible  ;) Old Moss

Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Help with AR 15 Build
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Sounds like you are building the same gun I want to build. :o ;D Here is a link to a good stripped lower. I have found them as low as $99.99 on the internet you just have to look hard. Take care Dale
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=815113
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:40:51 AM »
What kind of matches will you be competing in?  NRA highpower or CMP service rifle?  Will you be firing at 600 yrds? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
I used a LAR grizzly-15 and it worked well . It seems very few make lowers , many buy them stamp their name on them for sale , seems most parts are this way . BBls are mostly by 2 suppliers . I found M&APatrs.com helpful . You might save up to buy a "package" vs a piece at a time as you will save with the package . People like M&A will build you a kit to your requirements .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Moss

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
 :) Thanks folks,

Reverend Recoil, I am not sure what I will choose 1st, am looking at mid range 600 yds in NRA high power, or mid range tactical matches (3-gun matches as well).  My old eyes are getting to poor for open sights any more.  I want some flexibility to varmint hunt as well.  ;D  I figure if I ever want to try CMP I can build another upper to be wgt appropriate and have open sights.

I am also torn with do I want my 1st AR to be on a 308 lg frame in 260 Rem or 6.5 creedmoor.  would have to wait a little longer to save up the extra money.

Thanks again,  Are there any other thoughts out there?  ???  Old Moss
Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
I hear the best bbls are SS also.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !