Author Topic: Loading/shooting .357 140 FTX bullets..  (Read 831 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Loading/shooting .357 140 FTX bullets..
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
I picked up a box to try.

Anyone shooing them yet? and expansion results?
I'm gonna try them in a 357mag revolver and maybe my Maxi rifle...

Just curious...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Loading/shooting .357 140 FTX bullets..
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »
I've shot the FTX ammo in my 357mag Handi, 3-4" groups at 100yds scoped from a bench, I hope handloads do better in the revolver and Maxi.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
I had about the same results with the ones I shot. I never tried to recover any of the bullets, after I saw the group, I really didn't care how they expanded. I know better for next time. ::)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
Just to clarify.. these are projectiles only... I don't generally buy loaded ammo... ;D

I'll likely try them with my pet 357MAG, H110 load...

I hadn't seen them before, so I grabbed a box... I do confess buying a loaded box of the 225gr 44's a year or so back... waste of $$$. shot poorly out of both my 44 firearms.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:28 AM »
 :D CW, I have shot many xtps in both 357 and .44. since I use mostly jacketed bullets, they are very good...I HAVE NOT shot any big game with any of them..for me the 6 gun is mostly for target, varmits, self protection..I have shot some big game with revolvers, but none recently...when I fish the northern streams I carry a .44 with 250 Cast for grizzly protection, but would sooner have my Marlin .45-70.

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »
I was tempted for a while to buy a box and try 'em, then I saw the price on 'em.  :o

In my humble opinion the 140s in .357 are too light for hunting anything larger than varmints. Outta a revolver they are a waste of money. There is no ballistic advantage to using them over any other major brand of jacketed bullet at revolver velocities, and  even at the max rifle velocities recommended by Hornady(1650 fps),  there is still only  minimal advantage, if any at all. Most reviews I've read is, they are not as accurate as Hornady's XTP line, which are  cheaper and can be had in weights that are more appropriate for hunting. For defensive situations, I doubt the expansion is gonna be much different than a standard 125 gr JHP.  Add to this that cases need to be trimmed shorter than when used for other jacketed bullets, if one doesn't like them, you have brass that needs to be re trimmed to .38 special.

They sure are cute tho, with their little red nose.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
The 140gr FTX factory ammo runs a little over 1800fps in the 22" Handi, but like Dinny said, makes little difference if it's not accurate.  :-\

FWIW, the 225gr 44mag FTX ammo runs about 1760fps and shoots real good at 100yds with a peep sight and my old eye.  :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain